PDA

View Full Version : filters

jstefani
Thu Feb 10, 2005, 02:01 PM
hi all
im in the process of setting up my 1200 x 450 x 350 tank for some discus.
i usually run a sicce shark 800l/hr filter in it but have aquired a eheim 2213 440l/hr cannister jobbie. upon putting the filter in it seems to be flowing more than the in tank sicce and creating quite turbulant water, maybe too turbulant for discus, anyone have any thoughts on these filters. i have some restrictor taps in the out let line that im tinkering with however when i restrict the flow the filter starts to labour. any suggestions for filter types for this tank would be appreciated.

wyldchyld01
Thu Feb 10, 2005, 11:39 PM
hey jstefani,

haven't come accross your sicce, so i can't comment on this but don't forget the canister (eheim) will slow down a little when the hoses and impeller gets a little algae growing in them. also try having the spray bar bouncing water off the glass before flowing through the rest of the tank, this can slow it down a little also.

discus do like calm water though, so you'll have to decide if it's too quick

the taps i think your referring to are used so you can disconnect the filter and keep the siphon/stop any water flowing out of the tank, yeah def don't use them to slow the water as you will start to get cavitation in the impeller and maybe up for a new shaft

brenton

Merrilyn
Fri Feb 11, 2005, 03:25 AM
Hi Jeremy, I have four eheim filters on various tanks and love them. I find them really reliable. One modification I made was to get hubby (bless him) to drill more holes in the spray bar, and enlarge the existing holes. Now the water flows out in a much more gentle manner. HTH

Dave76
Fri Feb 11, 2005, 03:44 AM
Another thing you can do is make your own longer spray bar to reduce the current.

I used 13mm retic piping along the entire back edge of the three footer with holes punched all the way along and an end cap attached.

This was using an eheim 2213 - the 13mm fittings & pipe joined up perfectly.

Regards

Dave

jwight
Fri Feb 11, 2005, 03:02 PM
OK. Sorry to defer from the topic just slightly. I have a 2026 professional 2 is it ok to slow the flow using that tap?

jstefani
Sat Feb 12, 2005, 07:50 AM
thanks guys all seems to be in order now, appears to be a filter well worth the effort. spent a bit of time playing around with it the other night and found that pointing the spray bar upwards whilst slightly submerged resulted in a nice flow rate, now off to get some more discus :D