PDA

View Full Version : NEED Help Figuring out what is wrong.

Snookgum123
Tue Oct 06, 2009, 06:14 PM
I have a pair that have fail to fertilize the eggs 4x now. My ph level is 6.5 and my kh is very soft. Is it because these 2 are just too young and don’t have enough experience? I use a sponge filter and cycle my water 2x a day 30min after they eat. They are very healthy and aren’t scared. They lay eggs at least 2x a week but are unsuccessful hatching it to frys. My temperature is at 30.

Hollowman
Tue Oct 06, 2009, 07:04 PM
So how old are they? Photos would be good too to establish if they are a pair, ie: male and female.

When you say cycle your water, what do you mean by this?
All your other water params will also guide us a bit

Snookgum123
Tue Oct 06, 2009, 07:55 PM
I will take some pictures and give you the parameters and everything tonight

Snookgum123
Wed Oct 07, 2009, 12:03 AM
This is my Female. She just had another batch of eggs today

Snookgum123
Wed Oct 07, 2009, 12:06 AM
I have canister running and sponge filter. But once she show signs that she is in heat. I stop the canister flow. And have the sponge running still. I also try to stop both of them running for 2hr when she was laying eggs and he was trying to fertilize them.

Snookgum123
Wed Oct 07, 2009, 12:10 AM
This is a picture of the pair. The male seems to wonder away a lot and the female is constantly there. Not sure if that is what a male discus should be doing. He rather eat than to watch over them.

Snookgum123
Wed Oct 07, 2009, 12:14 AM
Nitrate 20ppm
Nitrite 0
GH 50ppm
PH 6.4

I change 20 % percent of the water daily. 10% in the morning and another 10% afternoon. I do my water change 30 min after I feed them. I do 5% of water change when they have eggs.

Snookgum123
Wed Oct 07, 2009, 12:16 AM
My temperature is at 30 C

Snookgum123
Wed Oct 07, 2009, 10:44 PM
Once again they keep on failing to pass the first day. ;;;

ILLUSN
Thu Oct 08, 2009, 12:22 AM
try reducing the currant in the tank both scott and i had better results slowing airation to just a trickle once they started spawning, adding fishtamins or pro more to the diet also helped my fertility.

Snookgum123
Thu Oct 08, 2009, 03:23 AM
so my parameter is fine? When I check the eggs every time they don't look bad. I mean it doesn't turn white or anything. I just don't know why they keep on eating it

Snookgum123
Thu Oct 08, 2009, 03:24 AM
fishtamins? is that the name of the product?

dean_alicia
Thu Oct 08, 2009, 04:41 AM
once they have fertilized the eggs ahve you tried putting a barrier there so the parents cant eat the fish but can still see them and fan them..
gutter gaurd works ok..

ILLUSN
Thu Oct 08, 2009, 05:14 AM
CAGE THE EGGS AND THEY WONT GET EATEN!

fishtamins is a vitamin suplement made by sera, pro-more as sold here by norto is also an excellent product.

Old Dave
Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:10 AM
CAGE THE EGGS AND THEY WONT GET EATEN!

fishtamins is a vitamin suplement made by sera, pro-more as sold here by norto is also an excellent product.

Jothy,
can we have some suggestions for "cage" material please?
I used a 12mmx12mm plastic mesh with some ceramic stand-offs but the "non female" just pushes the mesh against the cone to eat the eggs. :cry:
Some people use a similar sized metal mesh. Stainless Steel?
Are there cones that come with cages?

Thanks
Old Dave

Hollowman
Thu Oct 08, 2009, 11:59 AM
I have stainless steel mesh if I bother to use it. You can use plastic coated steel mesh too.

Snookgum123
Thu Oct 08, 2009, 01:09 PM
Oky I will try the Mesh and also go get the 2 types of food that was mention today. My friend gave me some mix variety beefheart....among other ingredients that he got from online. I will start giving them variety of food a day and not tetra color. Thanks for your quick response.

Snookgum123
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 06:36 PM
Oky I have try to give them variety of different food. They spawn again this Saturday and I put bought a mess to gaurd the eggs. Majority of my eggs are turning whites. So that just lead me to one thing my Male isn't doing a good job at fertilizing the eggs. Thats why I don't see them get past the 2nd day. I also lower the rate the bubble as to make the water as calm as possible. They have attempt 6x now. Should I keep on letting this male keep on trying or should I put a different male in his place?

sideshow
Mon Oct 19, 2009, 10:40 AM
my discus are on their 7 or 8th attempt
the female lays her eggs nearly spot on every saturday night

so i guess just keep waiting

Snookgum123
Sat Mar 13, 2010, 01:03 AM
I put a mesh on half of it becomes frys once they become frys I took the mesh out and they eat the frys!!!...
I change my water into ro water that seems to give me success finally on getting frys. But I don't know what I can do now. Does this mean that I have to try and raise the frys artificially? Or do I just wait and let the frys swim out of the mesh?

swampy1972
Sat Mar 13, 2010, 06:12 AM
my discus are on their 7 or 8th attempt
the female lays her eggs nearly spot on every saturday night
so i guess just keep waiting

I have a couple of pairs doing the same. All the advise given to me thus far indicates that if you have the water parameters good enough for breeding, then it's just a waiting game till they get it right.
My pairs aren't very old and have only recently started laying. They probably gone through about 8 broods as well by now.
Just give them time and stop 'fiddling' with your setup. Maybe that's contributing to the fry eating. JMO

dean_alicia
Sat Mar 20, 2010, 08:38 PM
if its only the male eating the fry/eggs you can try and put him in another tank and let the female raise the fry herself.