PDA

View Full Version : Algae Growth Question

ksst
Sun Oct 04, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hello Everyone,

Have questions in mind.

I read from internet that there are relationships among the type of lightings used for aquarium, the colour temperature of light bulbs used for aquarium and algae growth in aquarium, but I'm not sure at all.

I would like to know if the type of lightings used for aquarium and the colour temperature of light bulbs used for aquarium would contribute to algae growth in a tank or not.

If it'd, what type of lighting would and wouldn't lead to algae growth, eg. aquarium store CFL, hardware store CFL, incandescent etc.? Similarly, if it'd, what colour temperature of light bulbs would and wouldn't lead to algae growth in a tank, eg. 2000 degrees K, 5500 degrees K, 9000 degrees K etc.?

I'm not too sure if you all would understand my questions, but I hope someone would and answer my concerns.

Thanks in advance.

All the bests to all your discuses,
ksst

mcloughlin2
Sun Oct 04, 2009, 11:29 PM
This is the wrong area of the forum and I don't have time for a long post but here goes.

Globes with a lower kelvin rating (ie 5500K) are usually better for growing algae then a 20000K bulb. Most hardware store globes tend to be of a lower kelvin rating (5500K is very common over here) and apart form growing algae the colour is usually very yellow.

In my tanks I usually go for globes with a higher colour temperature because I love the crisp white/blue colours associated with it. However I have a pink tube (Low K rating) on a tank at the moment in conjunction with a white and blue globe and it does wonders for the colours of red fish!

ksst
Mon Oct 05, 2009, 02:54 AM
Apologised for the wrong area :-p.

I'll re-post this post in Discus Keeping 101 :->.

Hope to see more answers to my doubts as I'm still not very sure about the relationships among the type of lighting used for aquarium, the type of light bulbs used for aquarium and the growth of algae in aquarium.

Thanks mcloughlin2 for your answer.