PDA

View Full Version : Need help for new tank

ugmo
Wed Feb 09, 2005, 09:30 AM
Hi all,

I have owned a tropical aquarium for 4 years. I went to the discus show in penrith 2001 which inspired me to get tropical fish. Now I think I am ready for Breeding Discus!!!

Could you please tell me everything I will need to keep happy, healthy, frisky discus. I already have the basics such as prime, bact/ichonex and other essentials from my previous aquarium.

I am going to use the Aqua One AR 850 for my tank as I am only going to keep a pair. What else do I need. Even if it seems stupid to you, I havent even considered it yet.

Cheers
Matt

Merrilyn
Thu Feb 10, 2005, 12:11 AM
Hi Matt and welcome to the wonderful world of discus. The main thing to remember with discus, is that they like very clean water, so you need to work out how you will manage frequent water changes. Most of us start with a bare bottom tank, which makes for easier cleaning.

As far a temperature, we tend to run our tanks between 28 - 30 degrees. Water needs to be slightly acid and soft. However, having said that, stable water conditions are more important than the so called 'correct' conditions. Your fish will do well in harder, slightly alkaline conditions if that's what comes out of your tap. Just aclimatize them to your new conditions slowly.

Before you buy your discus, find out the water parameters they are in now, and adjust your tank to the same, so transfer is not traumatic.

A varied diet is very important for robust discus health, so find a good staple dry food and some frozen foods, like brine shrimp, blood worms, mysis shrimp, beefheart mix.

You'll find a lot of good information in the posts of this forum, so settle back and do some reading. If you need more information, we're always here to help.

chris
Thu Feb 10, 2005, 06:33 AM
Hi Matt,
Pay close attention to merrilyns comments, on water parameters, etc. :wink:
Breeding thats a total different topic, It might be better to try keeping them first as a hobby, learn there character watch and study them, they are very interesting. So much to learn. Keep asking questions on this forum, take your time, I wish I did... :roll:

ugmo
Thu Feb 10, 2005, 07:23 AM
I was thinking of a lightly planted tank with gravel below a layer of sand for easy cleaning. What sort of equipment and chemicals would I need?

Cheers
Matt

wyldchyld01
Thu Feb 10, 2005, 08:45 AM
ugmo,

again welcome to the forum, chemicals and equipment for discus really aren't that much different to other tropicals.

if i can, i'd like to say that having plants isn't an issue, there are quite a few that will grow on wood and you might even like to plant some in pots which will allow for easier cleaning,

sand can be a major issue, other than keeping it clean, sand can be an ideal substrate for de-nitrifing bacteria which will work against your main biological and mechanical filtration.

i agree with ladyred, there is a woman that knows a lot about breeding and keeping healthy discus. make sure the water stays stable, the tank is well set up before adding fish

and don't forget that sexing discus is harder than other fish, so unless you are going to buy (from a reputable dealer like our sponsors) a pair that has definitely bred before you may need to purchase a few until you find a couple that pair off (as it were lol)

the bigger the tank the less work required to maintain it, and i wouldn't stress with the chems, as long as you have something and can access a resource like the emergency room (on this site) you won't need a lot else.

yours

brenton

funkyfish
Sat Feb 12, 2005, 04:08 PM
i agree with chris if u have never keept discus before it would be an idea
to learn the basics of keeping them first if u have a 55gal tank get 6 discus to start with BB tank that would probably be cheaper than buy a proven pair and just in case one may die on u it won't be an expencieve
pair good luck with the hobby i've been in it for a while now and i'm still learning stuff. lots of reading and asking Q's
good luck