PDA

View Full Version : Discus Bully Chasing and Pecking Seriously

ksst
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 07:19 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm having a serious problem, which I think, in keeping my 1 bigger discus, together with another smaller discus, 6 cardinal tetras and 3 red wag platy in my 2-feet long tank.

The problem is, the bigger discus seems like a big bully.

It always likes to chase around my cardinal tetras when light is off at night, but not when the light is on during day-time.

Also more seriously is that the bully-discus seems to hate my smaller discus at all, chasing and pecking at it heavily all-day-long, even when until when my smaller discus seems be very afraid that it hides and faces one of the upper corners of my tank. The body colour of the smaller discus changes from bright red to dark black.

Anyone, please advice on what I should do to make the big bully lives in harmony and peacefully with all the other fishes, especially with the smaller discus. How can I stop all the chasings and peckings?

Thanks in advance.

All the bests to all your discuses,
ksst

ILLUSN
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 07:26 AM
add more discus the sooner the better.

ksst
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks ILLUSN, but how many more discuses can I add in a 2-feet long tank?

lpiasente
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 07:47 AM
if it is only a 50 litre I wouldn't have any discus in there. How much water does it hold?

ILLUSN
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 07:55 AM
if its a std 2 footer its only good for a pair or say 3-4 juviniles no bigger then 8 cm total length. with daily water changes of >75%

ksst
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 08:00 AM
My tank holds about 121 litres of water.

xrboy_85
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hi Ksst

you may have to remove the bigger one and replace with a couple of smaller ones the same size as your smaller one, i had a simillar problem when i first started i have a little 3cm turk and purchased 2 that were about 6-5cm and the wouldn't leave it alone so the next weekend i added 2 more and the problem eased off. the trouble your will face is your literage is very small, i started with a 250 ltr tank and now that they are getting bigger i have moved up to a 425ltr.

general rule is about 40-50 ltrs per discus. and the more water changes the better. i change about %40 on 3 day intervals.

HTH
Justin

ksst
Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice, I'll see what I can do to the fishes.

More advice and suggestions are welcome :->.

Mr Wild
Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:47 PM
Get a bigger tank - more water is actually easier to keep at the right levels of cleanliness as well and your discus will love you for it. Go straight to a 4footer and you will be very happy and you can have more discus.

Search the for sale adverts and ebay you can pick up some cheap ones, just watch they are not too stratched and you will be fine. HTH