PDA

View Full Version : Help on moving

networkguy
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 05:08 AM
Hi guys. Im moving next month and wondering the best way to move my tank. I have an 85 gallon with just 2 discus in it now, along with some tetras (which Im not so worried about). If it matters, I use two over the edge waterfall type filtration.

Whats a good plan for this?

networkguy
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 05:12 AM
BTW Im just moving to the same apartments, just a different buiilding.

xrboy_85
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 05:36 AM
hey mate

seems like a pretty easy shift, i just did a similar thing recentley, if you have some eskies or go to bunnings and buy a couple of plastic bins. i would put your fish in one wiht your filter trickling over to keep them moving, then try to keep all your water if possible or as much as you can.

then move the tank over put your gravel etc back in then fill slowley with your origonal water as to not disturb i would top up with fresh water just like a water change then let it sit for 48hrs, your fish should be fine in the bin if it's aerated and heated. reintroduce them and should be happy days.

HTH
Justin :)

networkguy
Wed Sep 30, 2009, 04:36 AM
Thx man. I think what I'll do is set up a small 20 gal with filter/heater, then fill main tank with new water, let it sit for 48 hours, then reintroduce. Im not anticipating the gravel getting dry in the process so that will retain some "age" of the tank when I refill with new water.

xrboy_85
Wed Sep 30, 2009, 05:04 AM
fill the 20 gal with the water from the old tank then yeh you should be ok to fill with new water once gravel goes back in i found when i did this even very slowely it took a day to settle down.

Good Luck
Justin