PDA

View Full Version : White Worms - Query

rburrowes
Mon Sep 28, 2009, 12:06 PM
Hey Guys,

Just wondering whether anyone has had any experience with a product called Vermex (http://www.reinbiotech.com/aquarium.jsp)

I've recently notices a couple of small white worms on the inside of my tank and from everything I read they recommend this product.

I've got the product imported from Singapore, just thought I better put out the feelers before I dose the tank.

Cheers

Rob

Oygle2
Mon Sep 28, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hey Bud.

If they're the same tiny white worms I some times get in my tanks, then perhaps you're feeding too much.

Apparently they live in the substrate and are not detrimental to your fish.

From a natural health view point, it makes sence to take away their food source and reduce their numbers.

Perhaps adding chemicals to your water may create other unseen issues.

Hopefully others will come in on this issue for you.

Regards

Mick

Hollowman
Mon Sep 28, 2009, 09:54 PM
The small white worms you are seeing are called Planaria. The cause is over feeding and lack of maintenance, ie water changes. Bigger more frequent water changing, wipe downs, gravel cleaning each change. 30% 3 times a week will get rid of them, and do not over feed.

hth

H

sf108
Wed Sep 30, 2009, 06:28 AM
I was thinking, does the fish eat planaria? Since they're similar to white/grindal worms, wouldn't the fish control the population of this?

ILLUSN
Wed Sep 30, 2009, 06:37 AM
fry will eat them but most fish find them too small and un enticing

simmo2302
Wed Sep 30, 2009, 09:11 AM
my african tank has a bit of a problem with them to, but i have been told by ALL the LFS in this area that it is a porb with the water supply here as the majority of hobbyists and LFS in my area have a problem with them from time to time.

African Cichlids are extremely messy fish, i swear they produce 10x more waste than what they eat. which is why i have a filter that does 8x the tank volume /hr.

the way i get rid of them when i find them on occassion. is stop feeding the fish for 3-5 days. and perform 20% water changes daily doing a THOROUGH gravel siphon.

i also found to cut down the depth of substrate , i had about 2inches of substrate (just normal gravel) in my cichlid tank because they like to dig, but have now reduced it to 1 inch.

i have a BB discus tank atm, and have not seen any so far. fingers crossed.