PDA

View Full Version : Anyone bought from discusworld aquarium in Victoria before?

ivo
Sat Sep 26, 2009, 01:19 PM
I hope I placed the post in right section. If not, sorry. I don't browse trading post much but today I saw discusworld aquarium in Vic claims to have many albino strains. I was wondering anyone bought discus from there before? Especially albino strains. Any feedback on the discus? Thanks guys.

AquaticMaster
Sat Sep 26, 2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah i been there a few times afar long distance from the CBD but is worth it.
Lots of quality albino strains correct such as albino oriental dreams.
albino leopards,albino fire ruby etc i went there just when his shipment came in and all of it is almost gone highly recommended

ivo
Sat Sep 26, 2009, 01:45 PM
Thanks for yr info. Do u mind to post couple pictures of the discus u bought there so I would have a feel about the quality. If u bought these albino strains then pictures please. Many thanks.

AquaticMaster
Sat Sep 26, 2009, 01:46 PM
give me your email and i send u some tomorrow very nice good shape and coloured fish.

ivo
Sat Sep 26, 2009, 01:57 PM
Pm sent with my email thanks.

AquaticMaster
Sat Sep 26, 2009, 02:18 PM
sent u some photos i took in a rush cheers

lpiasente
Sat Sep 26, 2009, 10:27 PM
Can't say anything on a public forum so I will send a pm :evil:

m.ingram
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 12:18 AM
I have bought from them twice and never again last time his fish had a highly contagious bacterial disease {even though it was in a qt tank it transfered to my main tank } that nearly wiped my fish out .When i told them they didnt care.

TW
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 12:37 AM
Hi Roger

Can't contribute to this thread, just thought I'd say hi :)

Are you back full swing into discus?

How's the marine tank going? Any new pictures?

AquaticMaster
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 01:29 AM
Thats strange because everytime i buy some discus they treat it before they sell it to me or maybe im just lucky lols

lpiasente
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 01:49 AM
I know he sold some fish to someone right in the middle of a prazi treatment for gill fluke the crushed tablets were still on the botton of the tank. That tank should have been put 'not for sale this tank under treatment.'

lpiasente
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 01:50 AM
give me your email and i send u some tomorrow very nice good shape and coloured fish.

I wanna see some too

AquaticMaster
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 02:21 AM
give me your email i send u some cheers.

ivo
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 05:23 AM
thanks everyone for their input.

hi robyn, i sent you a pm. cheers, roger.

boston
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 08:39 AM
i have found the fish at discus world to be very healthy and excellent condition
there tanks are always so clean and the fish are very active i know a lot of my friends who have also bought from them and they are very helpful people and honest

lpiasente
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 08:47 AM
i have found the fish at discus world to be very healthy and excellent condition
there tanks are always so clean and the fish are very active i know a lot of my friends who have also bought from them and they are very helpful people and honest

He only changes 25% of his tanks once a week, he told me this himself. Glad you haven't had the same experience we have had.

AquaticMaster
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 08:59 AM
i have seen some sick fish in his tanks but of course is at the bottom tank under medical treatment and when i first went he told me they were sick fish so i dont know maybe what you guys are saying is also true just my 2c

boston
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 09:49 AM
he has never told me that he omly changes 25% of water he has told me that he changes water once to twice a week but he does run uv filters most shops only change there water once a week i have work in quite a few of them

mcloughlin2
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 09:59 AM
Looking at your join date and your number of posts it looks to be like your affliated with Discus World boston :lol: Poor effort I must say!

Unless he is running a UV on each tank, or has went out and purchased a gigantic unit it would be ineffective. Too much water would be passing through for it too effectively kill any pathogens.

boston
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 10:15 AM
yes i know them very well they are friends and they do run a uv in each tank

lpiasente
Sun Sep 27, 2009, 10:02 PM
He has alway been very nice when I went there but I really just wanted to share my more than once experience, unfortunatly they weren't all that good. Sorry

AquaticMaster
Mon Sep 28, 2009, 02:09 AM
Oh wells everyone has there ups and downs its the same with everyone dont know what else to say haha...

m.ingram
Mon Sep 28, 2009, 08:12 AM
He does run UVs in all of his tanks . But they are only the internal ones i think they are only between 5 and 11 watts . As i said before i have had 2 bad expirences with his fish so i wont ever be going back there.

Mak
Mon Sep 28, 2009, 10:23 AM
Hi,

Can some one please give me the address? I would like to go see and purchase some.

Thanks.

rex82
Mon Sep 28, 2009, 12:21 PM
He does run UVs in all of his tanks . But they are only the internal ones i think they are only between 5 and 11 watts . As i said before i have had 2 bad expirences with his fish so i wont ever be going back there.

why are you buying sick fish to start with?........ if they look healthy and show no signs of sickness whatsoever when you purchase them how can you blame the seller for something going wrong after you buy them?......i have never seen or brought fish from him.....but i cannot see why ppl would buy the fish if they are sick to start with? just my 5 cents........ i dont buy fish that have been kept in UV coditions because i think thier natural immune system becomes weak.....but that is JMO...i dont run UV and have had trouble with fish that have been previously kept in UV........imagine never getting the flu and then copping it all of a sudden after a full life of living in sterile conditions...

AquaticMaster
Mon Sep 28, 2009, 12:43 PM
i think this discussion should just end should be judged by each individual as whether the fish is good or not or if the place is worth the trip or not .
I run Uvs only for my quarratine tanks and i find Uvs pretty useful but i do agree with rex about the Uvs bad side haha awesome just my 5c

rex82
Mon Sep 28, 2009, 12:45 PM
soon we will have to say 10 cents....... the 5 cent peice is being retrenched too....lol

lpiasente
Mon Sep 28, 2009, 10:03 PM
Yes that is a good point but the fish I bought home showed no signs of illness to me but back then I really didn't know what I know now. One fish I bought home had no signs of hex at all and then after a couple of days the jelly poop started to arrive. Under my care in a beautifully clean bb tank with very regular water changes and fantastic food it didn't pick it up from in there. The other one the same a beautiful fish that looked well but next morning gill fluke. Obviously the conditions they were not really top notch and something was brewing around. Fish don't get these illnesses over night. He does have some very very beautiful fish and I am sure there is plenty of happy people who have purchased from him. Unfortunatly I was not one of them. I do however have 2 very beautiful fish that are now well and look fantastic in my tank. Again someone asked the question and I answered it from my own personal experience.

why are you buying sick fish to start with?........ if they look healthy and show no signs of sickness whatsoever when you purchase them how can you blame the seller for something going wrong after you buy them?......i have never seen or brought fish from him.....but i cannot see why ppl would buy the fish if they are sick to start with? just my 5 cents........ i dont buy fish that have been kept in UV coditions because i think thier natural immune system becomes weak.....but that is JMO...i dont run UV and have had trouble with fish that have been previously kept in UV........imagine never getting the flu and then copping it all of a sudden after a full life of living in sterile conditions...

TW
Mon Sep 28, 2009, 10:48 PM
why are you buying sick fish to start with?........ if they look healthy and show no signs of sickness whatsoever when you purchase them how can you blame the seller for something going wrong after you buy them?......I am not able to comment on this LFS, as I live in a different state. But felt I really have to reply to the above comment. Fish, in the beginning of their illness, can look perfectly well. I understand perfectly what Leanne is saying. I've just had this experience in Sydney. 2 beautiful looking discus came home to my house, were placed in QT. They never ate one bite of food & after a week, the jelly poops came. They did not get sick in my tank, they brought that sickness in with them. They still continued to look beautiful for several weeks. It can take quite some time for the "sick" look to become obvious - particularly with an albino. Albinos can't turn dark like a non albino does - so you can't use that visual sign.

To blame the buyer for buying a sick fish isn't always fair. Even if you buy one, for misplaced reasons of trying to rescue that fish from it's bad condition, what is it doing being offered for sale in the first place.

I would never buy a fish that I can tell is sick, because I have a responsibility to protect my existing stock from whatever is wrong with that fish.

Just my 0.10 cents.

rex82
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 12:01 AM
so there you go.....noone can blame the seller nor the buyer.....it's just bad luck(thats if the precautions were taken to make sure they were healthy to start with).....the two previous comments just proved that.....i cant say whether or not the above business is a reputable one or not as i have never been and i live in a different state also........but i see it unfair that ppl are saying that they have had bad experiences with the fish they have brought from there and blaming the seller for it.....if you(the buyer) didn't notice the problem when buying the fish, how was the seller to know any different?...they are seeing the same fish as you.....

2 beautiful looking discus came home to my house, were placed in QT. They never ate one bite of food & after a week, the jelly poops came. They did not get sick in my tank, they brought that sickness in with them. They still continued to look beautiful for several weeks.

you are right....fish dont get sick overnight.....but they stop eating first......i have to ask the question.....how much did they eat when you asked the seller to feed them in front of you?....if you are like me you are often spending 200-300 a fish, doesn't it make sense to make sure that these fish are eating and what parameters,water changes etc the fish are kept in.......yeah i once had problems with newly purchased fish......but i found the easiest way to reduce the risk is to be more cautious and ask these questions.......

how long has these fish been in the shop?
what are you feeding them?
what parameters are they kept in?
how often are you changing water?
how much?
can you feed them now for me?

i as a seller would never expect the lfs to do the massive water changes that you and i as breeders/keepers do at home......you must remember they are in the business of selling the fish, not growing the fish on.... they will do all they have to have it healthy for sale otherwise it would be thier hobby....not business.

there! have 2 bucks!

Matt15
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 12:10 AM
I only purchase my fish from the ONE extremely reliable source. I've purchased so many fantastic fish over the years from this source but i've also had some fish which didn't survive in my care. It's impossible to find an explanation as to why but these things sometimes happen. We are dealing with animals after all.

It's not fair to always blame the supplier.

Yes its possible that the fish have bought an illness with them but you need to consider all the environmental factors too. Everybody has different water sources and ways of treatment.

How well do you think an English man will survive if you pick him up from the UK and drop him in Northern Queensland in a sub tropic summer? Some fish will adapt better than others.

Chinese whispers is also a game you shouldn't get caught up in.

>>>>My 5 cents

rex82
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 12:14 AM
agreed matt......you just said it in less words...lol

lpiasente
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 12:57 AM
So now myself I only buy and recommend one source that I have not had a problem with fish. Again someone asked the question and I gave the answer of MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE....... :roll:

AquaticMaster
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 01:16 AM
LOl now is just my 20cents..... I bought discus from alot of places and
usually if the discus dies in my tank or shows any signs of illness then they usually replace me a free fish or a 50% of any other next purchase of discus sounds ok to me...

TW
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 02:28 AM
LOl now is just my 20cents..... I bought discus from alot of places and
usually if the discus dies in my tank or shows any signs of illness then they usually replace me a free fish or a 50% of any other next purchase of discus sounds ok to me... Wow, I have never, ever found a LFS that is willing to do.

TW
Tue Sep 29, 2009, 02:41 AM
Meant to add this, but I can't edit my above post.

Sometimes there is nothing visual to indicate to the customer, who is only in store for a limited period of time, that anything is amiss. But the LFS staff, have a better opportunity to observe the behaviour over an extended period of time and should more easily notice that fish are not eating.

Yes, I should have asked that they be fed while I watch. There was even a clue I should have picked up, when the LFS was netting the discus. As he stired up the gravel, pieces of uneaten food covered with white furry fluff floated up into the water column.

You live & learn. I won't miss paying attention to those visual clues next time.

I am not playing chinese whispers, as I have not mentioned the name of LFS that I got these two discus from. But I do believe that the discus brought the disease with them & if I had researched a little more before I bought them, I would have found the LFS already had a poor reputation.

I plan now to buy from one source that I have found to be extremely reliable.

I agree that things can also go wrong when you buy from that reliable source too - nothing is fool poof. I'm sure to have a problem one of these days, even from that one reliable source.