PDA

View Full Version : Filtratoin question should i ditch my otto???

xrboy_85
Fri Sep 18, 2009, 02:06 AM
Hey guys

Just a quesion regarding water movement in my 4tf tank. recentley it has been upgraded to a 28high form 18, and am using a fluval 404 that has in and out at opposit ends of the tank blowing in directley down and out directly up.

i also have a otto 300 that it attached to a spray bar that blows up towards the inlet of that canister,

i also have a little power head that i can variate the flow of, if blows down the same as the fluval.

i generally turn the power heads off at night

Main question is " is this to much???" :?: :?: :wink:

TIA Justin

Hollowman
Fri Sep 18, 2009, 07:09 AM
You cannot over filtrate imo, but make sure that there are not any strong currents flowing around the tank, they dont like it.

simmo2302
Fri Sep 18, 2009, 08:33 AM
i could be wrong, but i was allways told that if a fish has to visibly swim to stay in 1 place, there is too much current.

the fish should be able to sit in 1 place and just gently move its fins back and forth.

Hollowman
Fri Sep 18, 2009, 11:55 AM
Simmo,

That sounds like a good rule to me. Discus will get stressed very quickly if they have to swim against a flow. In the wild they live in still pools, that is enough for me to give them what they like.

xrboy_85
Fri Sep 18, 2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks guys just wanted to make sure i was on the right track.

mcloughlin2
Sun Sep 20, 2009, 09:42 AM
Just remember it is a good rule for discus perhaps - but not for some fish. Make sure you do a search on what your fish live in in the wild before thinking about flow.

xrboy_85
Sun Sep 20, 2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks Mcloughlin

that is one thing that i have found tricky if finding any decent web sites about their natural habitat,

Not that my fish would ever know what the wild was like!! the wild for them was a bare bottom boring tank!!!