PDA

View Full Version : Tank cycling - Quick Question

shell42
Mon Sep 14, 2009, 12:58 AM
Hey!

Wondering if I can get some expert advice

My tank is cycling currently ammonia is 4 (going down rapidly) from a dead fish I had in the filter. The Nitrate is also around 4-5

Is fish food enough to maintain the ammonia level in the tank while the nitrates sort themselves out? or do I need to add some living fish to that environment? I would assume the Nitrate level would be bad for them.

Alternately where do I purchase Ammonia in Adelaide?

Tank only has plants in it and a few snails that piggy backed on the plants. I would not be upset if they died.

Ph is 7.2 currently
KH is a little high at 6 (drops) I'm informed it should be around the 4 (drops) with my test kit Mark but I think I added too much powder. Not too worried as again there is no fish.

Hollowman
Mon Sep 14, 2009, 12:25 PM
You need to maintain the ammonia levels at about 4-5ppm. The dead fish should be enough. What you do need to test for each day is the NitrIte and NitrAtes also. They are all important, as you start to get NitrItes showing the nitrAtes will also increase up to and over 40ppm, as the cycle increases the nitrItes will start to drop as will the nitrAtes. You will end up with zero ammonia, zero nitrItes and between 10 to 25 nitrAte. When you have reached this you will be fine.

hth

TW
Mon Sep 14, 2009, 10:48 PM
Here is a source of ammonia in Australia
http://www.fishlesscycle.com/

shell42
Tue Sep 15, 2009, 01:29 AM
Yeah I think the dead fish is all used up, the Nitrites are still high showing at 5 but the ammonia is low (less than 1 but not 0 from the 8 it was previously), not matter what I add in the way of food ect.

I don't have any more dead fish (thank fully) but yeah don't want to put any of the living ones I have back in to the high Nitrite environment until that shows improvement.

I was hoping just adding food would keep the ammonia bacteria happy while the Nitrite ones sorted themselves out. since getting ammonia delivered could take some time.

Would just some seafood from the store do the same thing? Like a prawn or fish or do I need fresh water only animals?

TW
Tue Sep 15, 2009, 01:33 AM
A prawn will do it, but be prepared for the tank to get a bit stinky :)

You are actually better to stick with salt water dead critters for cycyling your tank, as there is less chance of disease being brought into your tank by that critter.

The benefit of using ammonia is no smell.

I've used both the prawn & the ammonia methods in the past.

shell42
Tue Sep 15, 2009, 03:42 AM
yeah might go with getting a prawn.

Can deal with the smell I'll just throw it in the filter. =) thanks for your help