PDA

View Full Version : Converting a ciclid tank to discus

jeff8428
Sun Sep 06, 2009, 02:11 PM
I have been raising and breeding discus for a few years now and all of my tanks are set up as barebottom tanks. I have a 155 gallon ciclid tank with a 55 gallon freshwater refugium with plants in it. It has about 2 inches of gravel and a few large rocks in it. I would like to switch this tank to a discus tank. I would like to clean the upper tank and leave the gravel and rock in it. Also, I would like to leave the 3 small cory cats in it just to keep all the extra food ate. They do a great job at cleaning up the tank. Does anyone keep discus with gravel in the tank? How about with the small cory cats. what about cycling, I would think it would be okay as long as I keep the refugium going and I can also refill the tank with "discus water" from another tank. This tank has been up and running for 4 years. I know I have to raise the temperature but what is everyones thought on this

Hollowman
Sun Sep 06, 2009, 04:03 PM
If the filter system in mature, (test results Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, Ph needed to confirm this) then I see no problem keeping adult discus. There is no need to save the 'discus water' as it holds no benefit, it is the filter that needs to be working properly.

jeff8428
Sun Sep 06, 2009, 09:12 PM
should I take out some of the gravel? It has about 2 inches in it now. I have read a few places here not more than 1/4 inch of gravel

Hollowman
Sun Sep 06, 2009, 10:12 PM
Depends on whether you intend to raise small fish to adulthood or keep fully grown discus. I personally do not like gravel, period. Sand is a far better choice ime. :wink:

jeff8428
Mon Sep 07, 2009, 12:21 AM
I plan on only keeping adult discus in this tank. I tried sand in several other tanks and it just seemed to hard too keep clean. The sand seemed to fine to use a python to keep clean. How do you clean the tanks?