PDA

View Full Version : Please HELP

rburrowes
Wed Sep 02, 2009, 06:47 AM
I'm hoping someone can help, I've kept discus for nearly 3 years with out incident. I made the mistake of purchasing another Discus and not quarantining him. I realized that was a mistake as soon as I did it.

Week and a half later I've notices 3 things, my Discus have lost there appetite, a couple of them have long white clear poo and a couple of them seem to scratch themselves on the wood. And I am really concerned.

I have checked the ph, ammonia and nitrate and they are all correct, so my assumption is now I have introduced something into my tank.

So from what I can see they have some sort of parasite, possibly a worm or a fluke issue. I'm not sure whether I am over reacting but from what I have read there could also be a Hexamita issue.

I'm completely inexperienced with these issues, so I am asking for HELP

I've read up on some medications, but the term "once burnt twice shy" is affecting me. So please HELP

ILLUSN
Wed Sep 02, 2009, 12:13 PM
start treatment for internal paracites, if you can examine or get someone to examine some of the clear poo for you under amicroscope you'll be miles infront if not start treatmwnt with levimenisole 1st then prazi and try and find some metro, once you've finished treatment with prazi and levimenisole start metro if the fish hav't recovered.

lots of water changes and try and keep ypour temp at 30 maybe even 31C

rburrowes
Wed Sep 02, 2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks Illusn. I've organise a mates microscope to be dropped off this weekend.

In regards to the levimenisole, prazi and metro, I'm assuming that these are chemical compounds. Im based in Melb, VIC, AUS. Do you have product names that contain these chemicals, I want to stay with tried and trusted.

Your help is very much appreciated.

m.ingram
Thu Sep 03, 2009, 12:44 AM
Prazi u get from your lfs Metro from the vet and lemvisole from live stock out lets such as Murry Goulbourn or barrastock.Vets that mainly deal with Live stock ie cattle will have lemvisole also.Get the one for pigs and poultry.
Good luck

rburrowes
Thu Sep 03, 2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks m.ingram, I'll be going hunting for Prazi and Lemvisole on the weekend. I'm based in Melbourne, has anyone got any lfs that would stock Prazi, I've contacted 3 of my lfs that I deal with they dont stock Prazi and weren't willing to get it in for me.

In regards to Metro, does anyone know a vet in Melbourne that are willing to prescribe the chemical with just seeing pictures of the fish. I've emailed Dr Loc from the fish friendly people list and haven't had a response, I'll be calling him tomorrow.

Mr Wild
Thu Sep 03, 2009, 09:58 AM
[quote="rburrowes"]Thanks m.ingram, I'll be going hunting for Prazi and Lemvisole on the weekend. I'm based in Melbourne, has anyone got any lfs that would stock Prazi, I've contacted 3 of my lfs that I deal with they dont stock Prazi and weren't willing to get it in for me.
quote]

Aquamaster Fluke and Tapeworm Tablets are 100mg of praziquental, maybe ask for that.

Also Waterlife do a product for called Protozin that covers flukes as well but it isn't prazi. I have used both with no ill side effects. HTH

lpiasente
Thu Sep 03, 2009, 10:39 AM
where in melb are you? St Kilda aquarium will have them. They will post them out to you as well.

ILLUSN
Thu Sep 03, 2009, 12:04 PM
protozin only treats fungus and white spot sterizin treats flukes

Mr Wild
Thu Sep 03, 2009, 12:52 PM
protozin only treats fungus and white spot sterizin treats flukes

My bad thank you !

Mr Wild
Thu Sep 03, 2009, 10:36 PM
Actually according to this link it treats flukes as well.

http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/images/Tropical-freshwater-chart.pdf

rburrowes
Sat Sep 05, 2009, 12:04 AM
Guys, I'd like to say thanks for all your help.

I got home last night fed my discus with Brine Srimp and to my surprise they all went for it like it was a competition.

So over the next 4hrs I sat there and watched them, they all seemed to be back to normal, no scratching, just swimming around contently.

Last Monday I upped the temp to 31 Degrees (I did loose a hatchet and wipetaile doing it but who cares, my aim was to save the discus) and a water change every 2 days, and it seems to have resolved the problem.

I have noticed a couple of really tiny bumps on on my older discus's head, I'm not sure whether its recent but I'll keep up the warm water and the changing of water and it should heal itself (fingers crossed)

I'll keep you updated :)