PDA

View Full Version : Water Parameters

Barrie
Thu Aug 27, 2009, 10:55 AM
Just wondering what people consider are the ideal water parameters for breeding discus.

Temp = ?
pH = ?
gH = ?
kH = ?
Other = ?

Barrie

ILLUSN
Thu Aug 27, 2009, 10:36 PM
temp 30C
pH 5.0
gH low
kH low
lots of water changes and good solid feeding as often as you van manage it, if you do big changes with watr at 28C (2C drop) it seems to trigger a spawn, always do a fluke treatment before you allow the discus to breed.

Barrie
Fri Aug 28, 2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks Illusn. I would imagine that the pH would have to be lowered very slowly to those levels. Mine is currently around the 6.5. But good news I do have some fry on the sides of parents at the moment.
Thanks
Barrie

Barrie
Fri Aug 28, 2009, 11:38 PM
My favourite pair. Checkerboard Pidgeonbloods with 1 week old free swimming fry. Now taking brine shrimp, thats why they are off the parents sides for a short while.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj97/Barrie_2008/S6301643.jpg

Hollowman
Sat Aug 29, 2009, 08:09 AM
I would seriously remove the cone and guard, no need for anything else in the tank now (except sponge filter of course). Also the tank looks dirty, get some kitchen paper towel and wipe the sides down to get them clean at next water change. You need to minmise places where bacteria are going to grow. Also, because you have the cone in the tank still, see how the fry are around it, whereas they should be buzzing around and feeding constantly off the parents. This can lead to poor size/growth rates even at this early stage if life, imo it can lead to stunting, this is quite a critical time.

Steve

Barrie
Sat Aug 29, 2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks Steve, I will remove the cone and clean the glass. I agree it needs some attention but I just didn't want to disturb them too much in case they ate the fry. You obviously think that will be OK??
Also I had just fed brine shrimp so the fry had come off the sides of the parents and were chasing the shrimp around.

Hollowman
Sat Aug 29, 2009, 12:11 PM
no problem Barrie :wink:

stupiddiscus
Sat Aug 29, 2009, 02:26 PM
Correct me if I am wrong guys but if he had a UV in there the tank sides wouldnt be dirty right ?

Hollowman
Sat Aug 29, 2009, 03:44 PM
A UV would certainly cut down on algae and some nasties, but this is a stand alone tank with only a sponge filter because of the fry. A UV can work well in conjunction with external filter systems, but not in this case

hth

Steve :)

DiscusDave
Sun Aug 30, 2009, 12:59 AM
Correct me if I am wrong guys but if he had a UV in there the tank sides wouldnt be dirty right ?

UV will only kill algae / bacteria which is suspended in the water column. My experiance is it doesn't do a lot to prevent the sort of algae that grows on the glass. Maybe it slows the growth, I'm not sure if this sort of algae reproduces by releasing spores into the water that settle elsewhere or simply by cell division. Bacteria is similar I beleive, some float free and some are "sticky" so don't get exposed to the UV radiation.

Barrie
Sun Aug 30, 2009, 02:06 AM
Hey Steve,
took the cone out this morning very carefully. The parents didn't mind at all in fact the male wanted to have a go at my hand because it was in their tank. You're right the fry seem to be far more attached now than before.
Barrie

nicholas76
Sun Aug 30, 2009, 02:26 AM
Stunning parent fish Barrie !

They seem to be very clean for parent fish.

Hollowman
Sun Aug 30, 2009, 06:18 AM
Hey Steve,
took the cone out this morning very carefully. The parents didn't mind at all in fact the male wanted to have a go at my hand because it was in their tank. You're right the fry seem to be far more attached now than before.
Barrie

great :D

Barrie
Sun Aug 30, 2009, 07:51 AM
Stunning parent fish Barrie !

They seem to be very clean for parent fish.

Thanks, I like them. They have only changed colour slightly.... a bit of black in their fins that's not usually there. I was thinking that perhaps that is a bad thing and maybe an indication that they are not producing that much slime for the little ones.
Barrie

nicholas76
Sun Aug 30, 2009, 02:15 PM
mate we would greatly appreciate it if you could update us with the progress of the fry!