PDA

View Full Version : Fishless cycling - high ammonia

sf108
Thu Aug 20, 2009, 11:52 AM
Hi all

I've just started a new 20L tank.

I've added aquasoil, used Seacham Prime, and Stability, but my ammonia readings are >8ppm. It's on it's 7th day now and I don't see any Nitrate/Nitrite readings at all.

I've added some mini-pellia in it on day 5.

Any way I can increase the bacteria count as Stability doesn't seem to be working?

ILLUSN
Thu Aug 20, 2009, 11:56 AM
cycle from hagen is one of the better products as is sera nictrovec my dad swares by them, I'm more scepical.

best way is if you can take a little media from another filter and just add it to the tank, the bacteria will work their way into the water column and colonise the new filter within 2 weeks you'll be reading some NO2 and NO3.

jeffa
Thu Aug 20, 2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Mate

Is this true & what do you think?

hydrochloric acid is the best thing to lower ph for discus?

also what ph you advice for discus?

Thanks

Hollowman
Thu Aug 20, 2009, 04:54 PM
Slightly off topic, but what is your ph? why do people always want to lower it!! :?

sf108
Fri Aug 21, 2009, 03:03 AM
cycle from hagen is one of the better products as is sera nictrovec my dad swares by them, I'm more scepical.

best way is if you can take a little media from another filter and just add it to the tank, the bacteria will work their way into the water column and colonise the new filter within 2 weeks you'll be reading some NO2 and NO3.

Actually this is a fresh start, and I have no access to any other filter.

I used to use Cycle but I thought since Stability did the same thing, might as well buy the same brands.

Any other recommendations? Would nitrifying bacteria appear out of nowhere by having water sitting there for a month?

ILLUSN
Fri Aug 21, 2009, 03:23 AM
not really bacteria have to come from "somewhere" usually adding fish from an established system brings them in.

where about in syd are you,'ve got a heap of media if you need some.

Hollowman
Fri Aug 21, 2009, 02:49 PM
I would go with a fishless cycle, just add ammonia. Clean, safe, non smelly, quick, does not harm fish.
Or add mature media as suggested by Jothy

mistakes r crucial
Tue Aug 25, 2009, 10:20 AM
I've tried both products mentioned and it's only a personal opinion but I wouldn't spend the money again, quickest way is Illusn's way. However, I have 2 rather large dead mullet floating around a 6ft tank in an icecream container right now with plenty of holes in the top and a power head, it's cheap and I don't have to prove I'm not a terrorist to get hold of neat ammonia.
Cheers
MAC

Hollowman
Tue Aug 25, 2009, 12:00 PM
I don't have to prove I'm not a terrorist to get hold of neat ammonia.
Cheers
MAC

Ha ha!! :lol: We can openly buy it for cleaning purposes here in the Uk, the only thing I terrorise with it is the toilet :lol:

mistakes r crucial
Tue Aug 25, 2009, 12:43 PM
Mmmmm, I was there a year ago, I'm starting to like our laws lol.
MAC