PDA

View Full Version : UV Steriliser

TW
Thu Aug 20, 2009, 10:04 AM
Wondering if anyone has any feedback on this one.

http://aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3699&catID=51

It is a little on the pricey side. Whilst I don't want to pay more than I need to, likewise, I also don't want one that is on the nastie side. My last one just had a plastic part snap off & now it can't be repaired & is just rubbish.

Also, I am looking for one with the highest wattage, for a better kill rate. Or, have I got the theory wrong?

Some cheaper ones I saw on the net were:-

http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30&products_id=755&zenid=2e8013584c6e4b8a60fad5213edd28

http://guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/uv-sterillizers-and-accessories/uv-sterillizer-filters/uv-csterillizer-koi-/pond-/aqu-tank-72-watts-power/prod_32.html

Then there is a pondmaster one for $306.95, but it is only 36W whereas the others are all 72W

If anyone has any advice to share, I'd love to receive it :D

ILLUSN
Thu Aug 20, 2009, 11:53 AM
most of the generics come from the same factory in china, they work ok but bulbs only last 6 months MAX, hose tails arn't uv stabilized so have a tendency to go brittle.

for the money the 55w laguna unit isn't bad if you want something bigger then a 36w it would be my pick.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=4354&catID=51

hosetails are excellent, quick click connecters make servicing easy plus your guarenteed parts though the hagen network. the italian craftsmanship isn't as good as the germans but i'd still rate over the chinease, I know it costs a little more but like everything in life you get what you pay for.

TW
Sat Aug 22, 2009, 02:37 AM
Thanks Jothy

Have you used the laguna?

ILLUSN
Sat Aug 22, 2009, 08:34 AM
I've got the 55W model hooked up on Dads koi pond (40000L swimming pool) no green water problems, despite over 1000 fish and full sun all day long. its just so easy to work on compared to my jebo and pondmaster units.

I was looking at one for my 6 footer but since i dont have discus anymore i decided against it.

one thing to note it is massive it uses a liniar t8 style germicidal bulb about 900mm long (the same as the ones i use at work in my biohazard hoods) the contact time is excellent (being so long you get excellent exposure time at a decent flow rate) and you'll get no restrike like you'd expect with the PL-L/PL-s compact tubes.

TW
Sun Aug 23, 2009, 11:38 AM
I hate my fish cupboard. Space is always a problem when I try to install things in line.

TW
Sun Dec 06, 2009, 01:12 PM
Still procrastinating over this decision. I like the Laguna 55W - it's just the length that is the issue. No room to put it behind the tank, so it must go in the fish cabinet horizontally. This means that the water return pipe is now at the wrong end of the tank. So, I'm thinking that when the hose attaches to the out end of the Laguna, that I will then run the hose horizontally back inside the cabinet to the correct end.

Will my eheim (either a 2026 or 2028) have enough umph to pump the water for the extra distance? I was hoping it will, since the extra distance, being horizontal, doesn't entail extra lifting.

SLS
Sun Dec 06, 2009, 11:09 PM
Hey Robyn,

The best person to talk to re: UV Sterilisers is Gareth from Aquasonic.

I just bought some serious units, the Emperor Aquatics 150W x2 units... Serious power!! hehe

He also has a chart for specific purpose and application, kill rates etc for specific organism.

Kind regards,
George

TW
Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:35 AM
Thanks George.

I did look into the Emperor Aquatics 150W. I've heard good things about them, but if I'm rembering the right UV brand, I think they were way too pricey for me. What's the length of a 150W? For a 79G, what size Emperor would you recommend?

Still hoping someone can give me advice about the Laguna too.

Still procrastinating over this decision. I like the Laguna 55W - it's just the length that is the issue. No room to put it behind the tank, so it must go in the fish cabinet horizontally. This means that the water return pipe is now at the wrong end of the tank. So, I'm thinking that when the hose attaches to the out end of the Laguna, that I will then run the hose horizontally back inside the cabinet to the correct end.

Will my eheim (either a 2026 or 2028) have enough umph to pump the water for the extra distance? I was hoping it will, since the extra distance, being horizontal, doesn't entail extra lifting.

Failing that, there's the http://aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3699&catID=51 which is not quite as lengthy.

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 07, 2009, 05:28 AM
hi robyn Sorry didn't see your post the laguna will have very little effect on flow due to the size of the unit and hosetails, still for an eheim its way overkill.

since george is posting again maybe ask him if you can order a pondmaster 36w unit through APW, also aquaone has hit the ground with a pond one uv seties which have better quality then most other chinease cheepies and seem reasonably priced.

TW
Mon Dec 07, 2009, 05:37 AM
Thanks Jothy

Most things I've been reading up on UV (and it's all very confusing) is that for disease control 36W won't cut it. Probably, neither will 55W for that matter - but I'm getting closer. I could always consider 2 x 36W pondmaster.

I'll see what I can find out about the aquaone units.

I also saw this on guppys, but I guess it's too good to be true http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/uv-sterilizers-and-accessories/uv-sterilizer-filters/uv-csterilizer-koi-/pond-/aqu-tank-72-watts-power/prod_32.html

If all goes well, in about 4 weeks time, I'm taking delivery of 8 wild greens & I'm hoping the UV will assist their long term health.

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 07, 2009, 06:15 AM
again with most of the chinease units you'll have to change your bulbs every 6 months, also just check on that unit, from memory the hosetails only take 19, 25 and 32mm hoses not the 16's on your 2028.

72watts would definately do the job, also remember that the flow rate of a 2028 is only 650-700l/h MAX

TW
Mon Dec 07, 2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for reply Jothy

72watts would definitely do the job, also remember that the flow rate of a 2028 is only 650-700l/h MAXThat's a good thing, right? Or not?

A few more questions, in response to your post

also just check on that unit, from memory the hosetails only take 19, 25 and 32mm hoses not the 16's on your 2028. Do you mean this comment re the guppy UV? If it only has those hosetail sizes, should I cross it off the list of possibilities, or is there a solution (eg reducers).

What do you think my best option would be:-

Guppys 72W
2 x 36W PondMaster
1 x 55W laguna

(sadly, I had another look at the Emperor UV's today. I've heard nothing but great things about them, but they are just beyond my reach price wise)

Because I am about to part with a fair bit of cash to pay for the w.greens, I am even thinking that the Guppys 72W might tide me over for 6 months, while I save up for 2 x 36W pondmasters. But if it is too junky to even give them the protection I'm after for 6 months .... well, not much point I guess.

As you know, I am nervous of disease since wipe out I had earlier this year, so any opinions would be great to hear.

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 07, 2009, 12:29 PM
overkill is always a good thing :)

if you use the unit from guppy's you'll need reducers, go to bunnings and get a 25-19mm reducer (89c from memory) if you heat up your eheim hose you can squeeze it over the 19mm barb, DO NOT DO THIS DIRECT TO THE HOSE TAIL OR YOU WILL BREAK IT, attach some 25mm hose to the othe end of the reducer and attach that to your UV, if you order it buy an extra set of hosetails just in case.

while it runs you can save up and buy a couple of pondmasters or a couple of aqua one/pond one's just check that they use a japanease bulb (pondmasters use a japanease phillips bulb which is what makes them so good)

TW
Sun Dec 13, 2009, 12:23 PM
Don't know what's up wiht Guppys Aquarium. Sent several emails now, asking the length of their unit & if the exra hosetails are available.

They're not replying & I can't see a phone no on their site.

Strange, as it wasn't long ago that I bought the CO2 mix max thingy from them.

TW
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 03:01 AM
Ok, so I've given up on Guppys. I can't get a response from them.

The laguna is a little too long, although if it ends up my best option, I can probably just get away with it.

I've been focusing more on 3the 6W PondMaster but in several places it had to be ordered in, so I'm looking around for one that's in stock. Thought I found a good price from this place, only to find they no longer stock PondMasters. They came up with this alternative.

Does it look ok?

http://www.creativepumps.com.au/zpumps/pond_one/cleartec_uvc/cleartec_uvc.htm

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 04:04 AM
thats the pond one unit i was talking about made by aquaone i had a play with one at a LFS it didn't look too bad the quality of the plastics was much higher then the jebo jeabo units going around, aquaone also have decent support, you might find it a little cheeper at Trans aquariums in canlyvale, i believe lams aquarium in parramatta also had them in.

TW
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 04:12 AM
Ok, he's just come back & said it comes with 25mm-38mm hose barbs & 36 watt Phillips bulb.

Didn't say Japanese Phillips bulbs, but assume that's what he means?

Spare hose barbs are available.

I guess I need to get the reducers for this one.

Since you saw it, will length be a problem with this unit?

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 06:46 AM
yeah phillips make their bulbs in japan, you'll ned 25-19mm reducers from bunnings to fit it, length might sill be a problem from memory they are 480mm long

TW
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 08:38 AM
yeah phillips make their bulbs in japan, you'll ned 25-19mm reducers from bunnings to fit it, length might sill be a problem from memory they are 480mm long

According to this, the Cleartec 36W is 62.5cm or 24.6063 inches long
http://www.creativepumps.com.au/zpumps/pond_one/cleartec_uvc/cleartec_uvc.htm

The measurements are towards the bottom of the page. Am I reading it wrong?

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 11:28 AM
your probably right just checked my unit and its a 24 watter

rex82
Wed Jan 20, 2010, 04:27 AM
anyone had any probs with these?

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3959&catID=51

any feedback is appreciated.

brad_v
Thu Jan 21, 2010, 05:24 AM
I got a 72W and the ends were not 100%. I ended up swapping for a Laguna unit. Very happy with it.

rex82
Thu Jan 21, 2010, 06:35 AM
what happened to the ends?

brad_v
Fri Jan 22, 2010, 03:38 AM
one of the ends cracked just above the thread when givin it a dry fit. you have to glue in the hose ends as well.