PDA

View Full Version : Help, Plague???

YT
Fri Aug 14, 2009, 11:50 PM
Howdy all,
After a recent trip away with the RAAF for a month, and leaving my community tank (7 adult discus, dozen cardinals, neons and rummynose) in the care of my lovely wife, I have come home and believe the Plague had arrived before me.

All of the discus are now hiding under the logs, not coming out at all, very dark or constant dark stripes and off their food. Two of them have lost alot of weight and look very thin and sunken. They won't touch any pellets, blood worm or beef heart, that they used to love. All other tetras are swimming around happily with no losses

The tank is a 4' with approx 300 litres. There has been a bit of an algae build up while away, but the water quality has gone pretty bad with no attention for a month. Details as follows temp 27, Ph: 6.2, Phosphate: 5, Nitrate 5-10, Nitrite <0.1 to nil.

Attached is a couple of photos of them hiding, sorry for the quality but they are up the back hiding alot. They are both of my big male, who was very healthy and fat as a fool and outgoing before I left . Now you can see thet he has lost heaps of weight and quite sunken round his chest?? and front fins.

There is no obvious HITH that I can see and some of them appear to favouring breathing only through one gill. I haven't seen any clear / white poo's as yet but still looking and they don't appear to be slimey either.

Any advice is greatly appreciated as to what I'm dealing with, and where to buy appropriate meds as I don't have any stocked except for the basic Ich etc. No metro etc or anything of this type.
Cheers
Geoff

scott bowler
Sat Aug 15, 2009, 12:27 AM
hey there Geoff its not Plague mate , check the ammonia , and how many water changes have you done since you came back , i would get the water quality back and see how they go, a month is a long time with out water changes .hope it helps scott

YT
Sat Aug 15, 2009, 12:34 AM
Sorry guys, I tested the Ammonia and it came up as 0, just forgot to type it in above. I'll do a thorough water change and clean later this arvo and see how they go. I've been home for a day, but they just won't take any food at all.
Geoff

scott bowler
Sat Aug 15, 2009, 12:56 AM
what ammonia test kit are you useing , it is very unlikely that after a month with out water changes that nothing is showing . i would maybe put the temp up a little more too go to 30 , see how you go with the water changes and let us know