PDA

View Full Version : Hydrochloric V's Phosphoric Acid

Barrie
Thu Aug 13, 2009, 08:30 AM
I am considering using an acid to reduce the pH in my discus tanks. I was wondering about the benefits or downside of either of the two acids mentioned.
Any thoughts/experiences?
Thanks
Barrie

Nic
Thu Aug 13, 2009, 08:37 AM
Hi mate,
Not sure how right id be here but id say that you would need to find a very diluted hydrochloric acid as it is so strong.
I have heard that vinegar is great to use and then as a buffer to raise it again if you need to you can use bi-carb soda.....its very inexpensive.
Anyway, somebody may want to verify this for me, just something i heard.

xrboy_85
Fri Aug 14, 2009, 05:27 AM
hey guys

i use hydrochloric acid for decreasing ph the down side is it is not vary stable when it comes to lifespan so if you are not doing water changes every couple of days you may find you get swings.

you can jsut get it from your local pool shop for about $7 for 5ltrs

i use the little squirter tubes you get in your water test kits to draw it up and probly only about half a tube is enough to lower about one level in my 250ltr tank.

Good Luck Justin

Hollowman
Fri Aug 14, 2009, 05:20 PM
Why?

Barrie
Fri Aug 14, 2009, 08:08 PM
Why?

The pH of my tap water comes in at 7.8 so I wanted to get it down. I was concerned that maybe phosphoric acid introduced phosphates into the aquarium which I didn't think was good

Thanks for the replies so far.
Barrie

Hollowman
Fri Aug 14, 2009, 08:26 PM
7.8 isn't over the top, mine have been at this for a long time, no ill effects. Playing with the ph is not a game I wish to get into when the fish are fit and healthy and eating me out of house and home. Stable is more imprtant for me.

Barrie
Fri Aug 14, 2009, 08:33 PM
What about for breeding though Hollowman. A couple of pairs have spawned but all eggs went off. Thought it might be the pH causing that

Hollowman
Fri Aug 14, 2009, 09:17 PM
What is the conductivity of your water Barrie?

Barrie
Fri Aug 14, 2009, 10:06 PM
I haven't got a conductivity meter but the kH = 20ppm and the gH = 160ppm in the Discus tanks themselves. This is not the tap water - will test that later today. I will eventually get a meter and be able to provide proper parameters. The pH in the tanks is about neutral but I have been keeping this down by doing smaller water changes which is not the direction I want to head. I do have quite a few tanks that I need to get right. Nothing worse than the site of fungused eggs :(
Thanks for your help
Barrie

mistakes r crucial
Tue Aug 25, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hi Barrie,

I doubt your water parameters caused white eggs. Maybe more to do with your male.

Based on the water params you mentioned there the last thing you need is Hydrochloric acid. It will swing big time.
Cheers
MAC

luckylugs
Mon Aug 31, 2009, 05:47 AM
Hi Barrie, I use hydrocloric acid all the time and have no swing problems at all. My rainwater tank returns a P.H. varies due to the frequency of rain but will vary from 6.5 to 8. All I do is test the water from the tap and can callculate the amount of acid to reduce it to a PH of 6 that I run my tanks on. Very simple. eg. In 9 lts. 1 drop will reduce it 2 points. Len.

mistakes r crucial
Mon Aug 31, 2009, 06:21 AM
It's the KH that's the problem Len. With a KH of 20ppm there is virtually no buffer at all so it's more than prone to swing. I've seen a water change tank with 3000 litres of water in it at double his KH go from 7.2 to 2.5. We only ever used hydrochloric and it worked very well and was cheap but with little buffering you need to be very careful.
Cheers
MAC