PDA

View Full Version : pertassium permanganate( condeese crystals)

xrboy_85
Tue Aug 11, 2009, 11:16 AM
does anyone ever use condeese crystals for purifying water??? i was told by a breeder that he uses it and hydrochloric acid and bi card soda to condition water???

he had some beautiful fish breeding pairs and babies i purchased some smallish 3-4 cm babies and one 6cm ish white ghost and they all dies in a week any thoughts?? seems weird all my other 6 survived that were already in the tank??

he also said he salt bathed the discus once a month??

ILLUSN
Tue Aug 11, 2009, 02:15 PM
discus world use it, 1/4tsp per 500L.

they use H202 to detoxify it and not dechlorinater

bobgar
Thu Aug 13, 2009, 02:47 AM
Yes, when you purchase any fish from a store or mix fish bought from different stores, it's advisable to add a few Condy's Crystal (Potassium Permanganate) into the water. The water will go slightly purple.

This is to ensure that any surface bacteria on the fish are killed. It is much more effective than salt.

xrboy_85
Fri Aug 14, 2009, 05:39 AM
I was just bewildered that all 4 fish i bought from him all dies it was devistating admitidley 3 were only about 3cm so shouldnt have probably bought them he said he had never lost one in that batch so i thought oh well ill givce em a go. the other fish were all good and his keiled over including this beautiful looking ghost white but had blue kinda turk markings on its fins so upset!!

Old Dave
Tue Aug 18, 2009, 11:37 AM
Sounds like some form of shock due to water conditions.

Did you check the water parameters where you got them?

Possibly too big a jump in pH. Slow & steady pH changes needed.
Sometimes its hours or days rather than just a slow top up of the bag.
How long were they in transport? Packed together or individually?

jmo, hth

Old Dave

xrboy_85
Sun Aug 23, 2009, 10:34 AM
i didnt even think to check his ph

in transit for 25minutes in bucket with 12v air stone

Hassles
Tue Aug 25, 2009, 12:06 PM
I would like to advise anyone considering using Potasium Permanganate to read the directions for use very carefully.

For What Its Worth - Potasium Permanganate is also used as a aquatic plant dip to kill snails and snail eggs.

HTH

brad_v
Tue Aug 25, 2009, 12:42 PM
What concentration and time do you use for plants?

xrboy_85
Wed Aug 26, 2009, 04:05 AM
I only use it in my water conditioning tank to purify the water i don't use much just enough to turn the water a light violet colour which for my 3x18x18 tank is only a tiny pinch

i dont use in my display tank unless im doing a salt bath or have a sick fish then i dont even use enough to turn the water purple.

Hassles
Sun Sep 06, 2009, 11:36 AM
What concentration and time do you use for plants?

just enough crystals to turn the water a pale purple and soak the plants for about an hour. This solution is somewhat caustic so you can expect some plants to emerge in a less than wonderful state. Still, scraggly plants are better than snails. Personally I would dip the plants into the solution and place them in quarantine for a month afterwards to ensure the treatment was succesful.