PDA

View Full Version : Apistos about to spawn.

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Aug 11, 2009, 11:10 AM
Looks like my new pair of Apistostogramma Trifasciata are about to spawn. The male is busy digging out a little pit in a secluded spot and the female is nice and yellow. Im sure the Khuli Loaches will make short work of the eggs though. They will need to be moved on some time real soon.

I will try and get some pics if i can.

Hassles
Tue Aug 11, 2009, 11:14 AM
I would advise the removal of any nuisense fish asap

I hope you have some fry food - best of luck

Robdog
Tue Aug 11, 2009, 11:55 AM
Leave the loaches Ado. Train the apisto defence instinct. :twisted:

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Aug 11, 2009, 08:40 PM
I was planning on leaving the loaches in for this spawn as i dont have the time to catch them atm.

They decided to use the spawning cave instead.

boydvd
Wed Aug 12, 2009, 02:26 AM
hey congrats...

i got rid of my clown loaches for that reason. now i have 3 bristlenose catfish who recently have gotten too large... wondering if there are any tips to catching them and finding them a new home?

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Aug 12, 2009, 02:54 AM
I spotted a rather satisfied looking loach leaving the cave this morning. :(

boydvd
Wed Aug 12, 2009, 10:40 AM
how u going to catch him?

Hassles
Wed Aug 12, 2009, 11:33 AM
hey congrats...

i got rid of my clown loaches for that reason. now i have 3 bristlenose catfish who recently have gotten too large... wondering if there are any tips to catching them and finding them a new home?

catchin' bristlenose ain't too difficult. As these fish have armour plates rather than scales they ain't overly agile in the water. IF you have a (removable) cave that they like you're in luck, just whisk the cave and catfish out and you're done. Otherwise...get in there with a pair of nets and be quick. Much much easier than loaches.

BN get to 12CM / six inches in length.

Yeah, when you wanna' bred Apistos you need to think about tank mates. Keep it simple and stick to dither fish - I like Pencilfish myself.

take care

boydvd
Wed Aug 12, 2009, 01:07 PM
thanks for the tip.. what if i put a bottle in the tank with zuchini in it... will it act like cave?