PDA

View Full Version : Discus swimming vertically????

axl
Mon Aug 10, 2009, 08:23 AM
Hi,
got home from work tnite to find one of my discus swimming half vertically and shaking his back body. Is this anything to be concerned about. Is it early syptoms of a disease or i read where the fish could have excess gast is that right?? Should i add anything to the tank?? Thanks for you help

axl
Mon Aug 10, 2009, 08:53 AM
Just feed them and he ate fine, he was diving in for the food but is still isnt swimming right. Is it a bladder infection??

lpiasente
Mon Aug 10, 2009, 09:45 AM
Could be a blockage or a swim bladder problem. I would try epsom salts added to the tank 1 heaped teaspoon per 40 litres. But I still would wait for Steve(hollowman) or Illusion to give the heads up on this.

scott bowler
Mon Aug 10, 2009, 09:49 AM
hey axl mate like lpiasente has said could be eather problum i would try the salts mate and see if it helps

axl
Mon Aug 10, 2009, 10:57 AM
Hey Scott,
hows things long time no talk, how often should i put salts into the tank?? Just put some in then hopefully i will see some results tomoz.

lpiasente
Mon Aug 10, 2009, 09:12 PM
Im pretty sure the salts remain in the tank until theya re taken out with water changes. I have only ever needed 1 dose. See how you go.

axl
Tue Aug 11, 2009, 10:04 AM
All good today swimming fine and back to normal, thanks for all your help

scott bowler
Tue Aug 11, 2009, 10:09 AM
good to hear mate he must have had wind lol to many greens lol hope things are going well mate ,

swampy1972
Sat Dec 12, 2009, 07:51 AM
How do you give them before you should call it quits for the sake of the fish? It seems cruel watching it struggle to right itself.
I placed it in a hospital tank last night with a dose of epsom salts at the higher end of the recommended dose. I also raised the temp to 30' C. It's been just short of 24hrs now and no noticeable improvement.
I don't want the fish to suffer more than necessary :(

lpiasente
Sat Dec 12, 2009, 09:08 PM
mmmm could also be an internal infection. Is it pooping? I have a huge fish that swims like that all the time and has done for the last 9 months. She looks strange but I can assure you she is in no pain and is fabously healthy just has trouble keeping her balance so myabe don't give up just yet.

lpiasente
Sun Dec 13, 2009, 10:58 AM
haha spell check please

swampy1972
Sun Dec 13, 2009, 11:26 AM
He's off food and therefore losing a lot of condition trying to right itself constantly. No food = no poop.
He finds a corner of the tank next to the sponge filter to 'wedge' itself in to get a break every so often. Then he come out fighting again, so I won't give up as long as he doesn't.
I'll try dropping the water level right down in the morning so he can't float so nose down, that might help. I'll also redose with epsom salt. Finger crossed.
It's really distressing seeing him like this though. He was such a strong, majestic fish. This came on without warning. I got home from work and there he was..

swampy1972
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 02:26 AM
Hi all,

I've changed H2O again and redosed with with Epom salts at a slightly higher dosage (bit scared of going much higher as I'm already at the top end of recommended). The temp is 30'C and I've dropped the water level so it can keep in an normal upright position. This appears to be giving him the chance to rest but when it moves you can see that it still has probs with it's equilibrium and still not eating well.

I'm thinking the next step is to treat with a medication, but which one? I'm having trouble finding a vet here that suggests anything other than 'the freezer'.

I appreciate any suggestions.. :?

lpiasente
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 05:42 AM
I am pretty sure it is tetracycline but I will check.

swampy1972
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 11:25 AM
Cheers.
In the mean time I'll keep searching for a vet. I'll post their details if I find one.

swampy1972
Tue Dec 29, 2009, 11:17 AM
An update on my BD. I did a bit of reading and found a story about a marine biologist in the States that was having success curing fish of swim bladder infections by feeding them peeled green peas.
The article mentioned that swim bladder issues may occassionally be caused by constipation and something in the peas assists to clear the blockage, releaving the pressure on the swim bladder.
I did as described in the article, fast the fish for a few days then feed it crushed frozen peas (thawed). I repeated this cycle twice over a 1 week period.
The fish is now back in perfect health and happy as always.
I hope this helps.

lpiasente
Wed Dec 30, 2009, 06:52 AM
Good luck and I hope it works for you.

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Dec 30, 2009, 08:50 AM
I have always feed mine peas at least once a week.

swampy1972
Wed Dec 30, 2009, 10:21 AM
Hi lpiasente, my fish has recovered beautifully. I think I was pretty lucky this time.. I was actually to the point of considering putting it out of it's misery. This was a last ditch attempt that thankfully worked.
I do have peas in my beefheart mix as per the recipes found here. I had no idea it was in there as a digestive aid till now though. I guess it was just one of those occassions where I got a bit of bad luck. All's well now though, thankfully!
Cheers.

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Dec 30, 2009, 10:34 AM
All's well that ends well. ;)

lpiasente
Thu Dec 31, 2009, 06:27 AM
That's great news I am so happy for you both, maybe I might try but after a year of Sally being like this I don't like her chances. She does actually have a lump where the swim bladder is so you never know.

swampy1972
Sun Jan 03, 2010, 10:54 AM
It can't hurt..
I think I'll follow suit and give mine a couple a week or increase the amount in the beefheart mix.
Best of luck!