PDA

View Full Version : wild discus wont eat

tal
Fri Aug 07, 2009, 11:44 AM
hello,
i have been trying to feed wild discus pellets for two days they appear to have no interest in them, any ideas on what else i can try?

tal
Fri Aug 07, 2009, 12:22 PM
i know this is going to sound stupid but i got them to eat... frozen blood worms. I am under the impression that it is very bad for there diet to only eat blood worm and can lead to whole in head, can someone please confirm?

Hollowman
Fri Aug 07, 2009, 07:43 PM
Not true.

Blood worm does not cause HITH. Poor conditions, poor food, poor water will bring on HITH. You need to give them a varied diet. Get some beefheart, some hight quality granular food, maybe fresh garden worms, etc etc.
If they dont eat, starve them for 2 -3 days and try a food that they have previously turned down...watch them eat then!

hth

lpiasente
Fri Aug 07, 2009, 09:10 PM
I find my discus love mals freeze dried blackworms. Have a look in the food and nutrition section in the forum there are some great recipies there.

Mt fishy pantry is

blackworm, bloodworm, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, beefheart seafood mix ,breeders blend flake mix ,spirulina pellets, 3 different types of pellets all mixed together, new life spectrum discus formula hbh flake frenzy ( this one amazes me at what is in it)and of course live brine shrimp. Not sure with the wilds though if they need a different diet.
Good luck it is very frustrating when they don't eat.

scott bowler
Fri Aug 07, 2009, 11:51 PM
if you cant get them to eat for a while i would try some live food , get some live black worms from the lfs and give them a go. when they start to eat then try them on some small amounts of beef heart , always remove any uneaten food ofter a few hours if there not haveing a go. dont let your water turn off , keep an eye on amonnia , let us know how you go