PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on One Touch Dunny system

mawhins
Thu Aug 06, 2009, 06:12 PM
Hi all,

I haven't really introduced myself here yet but will in the proper forum however....

I've been mulling over a system that allows me to do "one touch" water changes on multiple tanks used for breeding grow out etc... I've come up with the attached.

The header tank is fed through a float valve from a toilet cistern. Tank will prolly be a low long plastic storage container.

The sump will be a similar container, not using it for filtration(but optional). Filtration is by the sponge filters which are made of terracotta pipe filled with foam over a standpipe through a bulkhead in the bottom of the tank. The terracotta pipe is siliconed to the tank base and the pipe height sets the water level in the tank. Not too sure about this... I hope the discus will use this as their laying surface :wink:

I've never been a fan of shared filtration/water so ive added isolating ball valves on all the tanks both in and out. If treating tanks I'll switch to cannister or just drop the water level below the terracotta and add an air driven sponge while treating and do manual water changes.

The one touch bit works like this, you press the flush button on the cistern flush mechanism in the sump, choose half or full for small or large change. Water drains from the sump in a big rush like a toilet flushing. In fact the sump is a heated toilet cistern with a pump recirculating water from it to the tanks and back via sponge filters.

The sump immediately starts filling from the header tank thanks to the miracle of gravity and stops when the float valve (in the sump) tells it to.

This lowers the level in the header tank which immediately starts refilling and fills until the float valve in the header tank tells it to stop. Need an autodoser for prime on the inflow to the header tank. (Saw something neat on another forum that uses venturi to add controlled dose percentage wise of chems. Cant remember where i saw it though. Monstertanks i think.)

The thing i like about it is it's relatively low tech and therefore robust and most importantly cheap. How cool would it be to walk in and press one button to do a water change on multiple tanks. I've laid out the plan with two tanks but easily extended to more. And if you want to change more water just press the button again!!! Gold gold gold???

Would really appreciate any thoughts as I think the filtration idea and using toilet parts is a bit off the wall.

Cheers,

Sean

mawhins
Thu Aug 06, 2009, 07:09 PM
The dosing doohicky is the Dosamatic MiniDos. Don't know how much they are yet. Check this thread if you're interested http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74275

rex82
Sun Aug 09, 2009, 01:11 PM
similar to how my system works i spose except i prefer to vac the crap outta the tanks to drop the level in the sump........then the water just overflows from my aging barrels into the sump.......do this twice a day.......takes about half hour a day thereabouts.....

mawhins
Sun Aug 09, 2009, 09:35 PM
Hi rex82, yeah i was thinking about adding connector(s) with flexible hose to the pipe that drains into the sump but that would be a bit daft. Send it to the drain to remove waste from the system is they way to go.

xrboy_85
Thu Aug 13, 2009, 12:11 PM
Hey All

Gee i like the toilet float system that is cool never thought of it, i have rigged up and pressure pump that has the power to put out a house fire!!, courtesy of a pump master guy that i think overcompensated a little, any who i have regulated the flow,

i have a 3ft tank under the house that sits with clean water and is heated, and treated as necessary. i also change the filter sponges between the tanks off my otto power heads.

when i want to change water i just turn the power on on the pump down stairs connect my hose up stairs turn on the tap and walla fresh water come up, then i just gravel clean or just drain out the lounge room window!!! fairly simple and was not very expensive to rig up.

Pump cost $250
fittings & hose ( bunnings) $100ish

will post some pics up in due course

Justin!

Old Dave
Tue Aug 18, 2009, 12:35 PM
To avoid stressing the pump and creating unnecessary noise/vibration you need to have the "lift" tube & fitting as wide as possible.
This works against the slow flow which is best for the UV.
Maybe some form of parallel by-pass?
Also consider a non-return valve.

Great drawing :salute

jmo, hth,

Old Dave

mawhins
Tue Aug 18, 2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks Old Dave, perhaps the uv steriliser should be run off a separate smaller pump in the sump?

mistakes r crucial
Tue Aug 25, 2009, 09:27 AM
If I was running 7000 litres how big has the toilet gotta be?
Cheers
MAC