PDA

View Full Version : discus breathing fast from one gill ????

dom2106
Wed Aug 05, 2009, 09:33 PM
i recently started using hma water was using aqua safe before i do a 20% water change daily since i started using hma water all 5 of my discus have been breathing rapidly ??? now my 5 inch brilliant turq has started breathing from one gill they all seem to be acting normaly eating fine ect my readings are all spot on temp is 29-30 i have a very thin layer of white silica sand and some bogwood no plants !!any ideas ?????

Hollowman
Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:20 PM
How long ago did you start using the HMA? did you use the first few gallons of product water?

What are your other water parameters? Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte, Ph
How much are you feeding? do you syphon out uneaten food?
Do you run an air stone? If not, add one right away to help raise O2 levels

dom2106
Wed Aug 05, 2009, 10:30 PM
i started using hma water last friday my readings are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5 ph 7.2 gh 12 i do a 20% wc every night cleaning ang waste from the bottom of the tank i feed 3 times a day 2 cubes a time and no air stone but i have a spray bar which fills the tank with bubbles ??? and i ran 5 gallons through the filter before i used it

dom2106
Thu Aug 06, 2009, 01:46 PM
Ive added a air stone and a few hours after they all seem to have calmed down breathing 1-2 times a second was 4-5 before i added the air stone can i stop worrying now ??? is it normal for them to breath faster when i feed them ?? cheers

ILLUSN
Thu Aug 06, 2009, 02:31 PM
kinda, mine do get "excited" and breath a little faster at feeding time.

Hollowman
Thu Aug 06, 2009, 08:25 PM
ha ha!!, mine just go mental at feeding time.