PDA

View Full Version : Panduro Spawn

boydvd
Tue Aug 04, 2009, 08:17 AM
Hi all, after months of near misses, i have a tank full of panduro fry - approx 60 babies.

i suspect almond leaves and oak leaves played a part in helping the spawn and successful hatching. i also got the tank water as soft as i could with RO water and stopped water changes while feeding sparingly with live foods.

fingers crossed i will get a lovely batch from this brood.

on a sad note i have a female panduro whose mate died suddenly. is there anyone out there with a lone male panduro they want to sell? if so PM me.

thanks

PS i am in inner south of melbourne

Hassles
Tue Aug 04, 2009, 11:55 AM
Firstly congratulations on for your success - well done.

secondly what were your water parameters at the time the fry emerged eg: PH, temp, GH etc

and lastly, as these fry have been born from wild caught parents I think I want some ;-)

take care

boydvd
Wed Aug 05, 2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks Hassles! It's great to have free swimming fry!
My water parameters are:
temp 27.2
ph 5.0
gh 2
kh 2

I think the ph was the deciding factor for the eggs hatching. And of course u can grab some fry when they get a bit bigger

cheers

Rod
Wed Aug 05, 2009, 11:42 PM
I think the ph was the deciding factor for the eggs hatching

Why do you believe this?

My understanding is it is more about TDS (total dissolved solids)
High Calcium hardness causes eggs to harden before fertilisation
but Happy to hear your logic.... :wink:

Hassles
Thu Aug 06, 2009, 01:52 AM
Thanks Hassles! It's great to have free swimming fry!
My water parameters are:
temp 27.2
ph 5.0
gh 2
kh 2

I think the ph was the deciding factor for the eggs hatching. And of course u can grab some fry when they get a bit bigger

cheers

The PH and Temperature will influence gender ratios of the off-spring. It will be interesting to see what you end up with.

I have just raised (slightly up from 6) the PH of my borelii tank which now has a huge clutch of eggs. temp about 25.5

keep us posted

boydvd
Thu Aug 06, 2009, 02:45 AM
hi Hassles,

from the books you lent me, i think the temp is the bigger deciding factor. At over 27 degrees, i should get mostly males... from an evolutionary sense. 27 might denote abundance and plenty, so not as many females are needed. at the lower temps, it may be harsher for them so it's important to ensure more females?

hope the rising ph helps your borelli

boydvd
Thu Aug 06, 2009, 02:48 AM
Hi Rod,

previous to dropping the PH, my TDs and GH and KH were the same as now i.e very low.
The only change was the drop from pH6.5 to 5.0. so i assumed this was what allowed the eggs to hacth this time.

At the more neutral pH, the looked to spawn but 2 days later they would stop guarding their spawn site which i assume was the eggs going off and being ingested by the mum.