PDA

View Full Version : How to increase eggs fertilisation?

JodiePa
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 06:04 AM
Anyone like to share their experience.
My Virgin Red pair fry is reducing till around 30pcs from about a hundred at each spawn. They have been breeding for about 9mths with rest in between. I notice there are many unfertilised eggs.
I feed them fish meat, pork meat, bloodworms, tubeflexworm and tetrabits. Would beefheart boost up the number :?:

Hollowman
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 10:23 AM
When you say meat, pork meat, what part of the pig are you feeding? Also, never feed tubifex, they carry diease and parasites.
To increase fertilisation try to stop any water flow during spawning, so if you are on a system, cut flow, if you use sponge filters, turn off for the duration of spawning. This gives the male's milt more chance of getting to the eggs. You can also use Andrew Soh's Pro-More product that helps condition fish for spawning.
hth

Steve

ILLUSN
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 01:15 PM
its not so much the beefheart as it is the vitmins in the food, try adding something like andrew sohs pro more or sera fishtamins, this will help a little.

JodiePa
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks Illusion and Steve for the good informations.
I'll immediately try reducing the bubbling rate. No wonder some tank produces a lot of frys some don't.
I'm feeding them lean meat without fats or skin. Ya! I'll stop using tubifex worms unless I can find a way to kill the parasite n bad bacteria.
I add multi vitamins for children in the meat 1table spoon per kg.

Only change will produce different result
Sylee

Andrew Soh
Tue Jul 21, 2009, 12:34 AM
Hello buddy Lee from Penang,

Lean meat is not as good as the heart in term of nutrition value.

I have tried an experiment and separated a batch of fry into four categories.

One with porkheart
One with beefheart
One with pork lean meat
One with beef lean meat

The results clearly indicated that beefheart is the best in term of nutrients and growth rate. AS for the meat....minimal growth.

Also, beef-liver has the most powerful nutrients...but the problem is clouding the water....even if slightly cooked. Discus don't like it also. If you add a portion of liver into their diet, they can grow fast and stay robust....most of the time.

As to pro-more, it does help in fertility.... and has been proven.

Take care,
Andrew :D

JodiePa
Tue Jul 21, 2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks Andrew for sharing your experiment and recommendation. I'm convinced with the data.

I'll definately try adding beef liver and beef heart into their diet. I hope my fry can grow faster from 3mths to 2.0inches to maybe 2.5mths. I will report my data with my next batch of BD fry.

As for Pro-more do you know where I can get it in Penang. Would like to try for greater results.

Cheers,
Sylee

Andrew Soh
Tue Jul 21, 2009, 12:03 PM
Lee,

There are breeders both commercial and home...using pro-more. You can check with some of them.

Even DSM (Discus Society of Malaysia) is supportive and hence is selling my book.

I'll definately try adding beef liver and beef heart into their diet
If you decide to use beefheart, that's great..... then.....you must forget about lean meat and remove it from discus diet.....and not add heart into your lean meat diet.

Take care,
Andrew :wink:

JodiePa
Wed Jul 22, 2009, 06:47 AM
Andrew your know how on Discus keeping is amazing. Thanks again for sharing. :shock:

I'll definately try your recommendation of beef heart only diet.

Have you experiment adding fish oil to their diet? One expert told me its good for their health and they can withstand cooler temperature. :idea:

Change,
Sylee

Andrew Soh
Wed Jul 22, 2009, 07:11 AM
Fish oil is indeed very good for fish....if not there would be products like Cod liver oil or fish liver oil for dogs and so on.

BUt in feeding aquatic animals like discus or even other fishes, care must be taken in preparation and how to ensure that the oil leach or separate from the meal before eaten. The uneaten oil will float on the surface of the water...hence blocking the surface absorption of air. Further to that, because of the oil fouling at the surface, it may encourage bacterial growth......

So to use fish oil, your tank must have a surface skimmer or surface remover system installed.

Take care,
Andrrew :wink: