PDA

View Full Version : New tank

Pheonix
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 03:23 AM
Hi All,

I have just set a new tank and I'm thinking of trying some Apistos. The tank is a 3x2x2 with a Eheim 2028, also running a 36w UV which is overkill for this size tank but it wasn't being used anywhere else. I have put in some ADA soil and some drift wood. tank will be planted but no co2 so going to use excel. Looking at ferns like Java and bolbitis to provide plenty of cover and hiding places.

what is the best way to stock the tank once it has cycled. should i get a group of juveniles or try and get a pair or trio. Also need some advice as to some better species to start with, not new to fish but never kept apistos before, only some rams along time back.

Also what kind of caves should i use for them to hide?

cheers

boydvd
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 04:18 AM
Hi Buddy try the cacatuiodes.

they are the closest i got to living fry. agassizii were the second easiest to spawn for me. howver the male aggy gets nasty after spawning.

i would recommend you have a very stable tank first before getting them. my cacs died when i had co2 crash. so i've turned off the co2 and they look better now.

if you have a lot of time to devote to the, you can try a fussier species. I've got panduro that keep spawning but never raise any fry.

they are great fish though.

Hassles
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 07:02 AM
Hi All,

I have just set a new tank and I'm thinking of trying some Apistos. The tank is a 3x2x2 with a Eheim 2028, also running a 36w UV which is overkill for this size tank but it wasn't being used anywhere else. I have put in some ADA soil and some drift wood. tank will be planted but no co2 so going to use excel. Looking at ferns like Java and bolbitis to provide plenty of cover and hiding places.

what is the best way to stock the tank once it has cycled. should i get a group of juveniles or try and get a pair or trio. Also need some advice as to some better species to start with, not new to fish but never kept apistos before, only some rams along time back.

cheers

G'day Pheonix

Firstly can you tell us what you water parameters are ? The PH, the GH and the KH if possible. The answer to this question will make it easier to suggest a suitable Apistogramma.

The problem with starting with a group of juveniles (which I often prefer) is once you have a pair that has bonded, you need to rehouse the others or they will be killed so....perhaps start with a pair. Once breeding occurs you're faced with a similar problem as all too ofteh you need to segregate the male & female so that one does not kill the other. Do you have any additional tanks handy ?

I wouldn't be using Excel either at this point as you will probably find your plants will grow well enough without it.

take care

Robdog
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 07:28 AM

Any sort of cave will do. Ceramic bristlenose logs, half a coconut shell, terracotta plant pots and saucers, the little terracotta shelters with crosshatched tops(like Th0mas used to use), they all work.
Even the reptile caves that have the magnets to attach a piece to the outside of the tank. Great for spying on spawning activity.

Pheonix
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evening,

Current parameters are pH 6.8, gH 3 degrees and kH 2. just done with new test solution that arrived in mail today. Tank only just been filled 2 days ago so not done any other tests just yet. hardness is a fraction higher than normal but we are at middle of the dry and the water does vary abit this time of year.

Tank will get a while to settle, going to plant tomorrow then let it go for a while with some local shrimp for algae control. going to sydney in the first week in August for a few days so was going to look at adding fish after that.

gingerbeer01
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 10:16 AM
Couple of rules from my perpective that ma help.

Firstly whilst we talk about apistos as a big group - individual species do have diffeneces so all hat follows is a guide - I would always suggest research your fish before buying - as much as anything because there is a lot of misidentification goes on in Australia.

Secondly - my general rule of thumb is 1 square foot per female and an extra 1/2 square foot per male. This works pretty well but some will wnat more space, and some less.

Third rule - most Apistos are harem breeders - one male to a pile of demales, and he will g around and breed with each in turn. This is also a lot of fun to see this behaviour in a big tank.

Fourth rule - guide to sexing most apistos look at the ventral fins (front bottom paired fins) females will be black. Second thing to look for is colour as female will be yellower in season but ventrals will almost always show on mature fish.

Final rule for now - Apistos will cross and the rule is chose apistos from different complexes - but can be a bugger to remember the complexes, hence my rule is if the females look alike - don;t put them in the same tank. It is also a god rule to start towards stopping fighting - but only works so far as apistos do tend to compete for breeding/ living spaces.

HTH