PDA

View Full Version : Shopping List

bradalj
Fri Jul 17, 2009, 07:35 AM
Hello,

I am new to the field of Discus keeping and am wondering if there is anywhere I can find that lists everything that I will need (other than decorations).

I am looking at a 6x2x2.5(H) tank with cabinet. I am going open top with (T5) lighting attached by brackets to the back of the aquarium and suspended 30cm or so above the aquarium.

I am after a sand bottom and will be using mainly rocks and driftwood with a few plants in the back corners.

I am thinking of an Eheim 2180 with the inbuilt heater.

I want all pipes plumbed through the bottom of the aquarium, should/can you ask for more in case more needs to be attached.

What else should I be doing?

What else should I be buying?

What amount of Discus would be ideal, it will be a community tank?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Robdog
Fri Jul 17, 2009, 12:16 PM
Sounds like you've got it sorted mate.
I wouldn't see a problem with 5 adult discus in that tank. You could probably put in more but....

bradalj
Tue Jul 28, 2009, 02:13 AM
I'm a bit unclued about the whole filtration thing. Having the canister filter as above, is that going to be enough, will I need two filters or anything like a pump?

ILLUSN
Tue Jul 28, 2009, 04:11 AM
6X2X2.5 is a big tank easily enough for 14 discus, persoanlly i think your 2080 will be at its limit, i have one on my 6x2x2 and i have a 2nd filter on the oposite end to help it out.

i wouldn't go open top cause discus jump.

everythine else sounds great I'm sure if you had the 2080 on one end and something like a 2217 on the other you wont have any problems.

Pheonix
Tue Jul 28, 2009, 05:17 AM
Maybe a UV sterilizer and double your filtration

mcloughlin2
Tue Jul 28, 2009, 06:10 AM
A UV sterilizer is of no real use in this situation.

I think you will be fine with the filtration you have providing it can circulate the entire tank. If need be as ILLUSN said put an eheim 2217 or if money is no issue go for the 2080 on there and have that to help aid circulation and filtration if you want to have a nice shoal of discus.

Ideally you don't want to have any extra holes drilled in the bottom. This will do nothing except reduce the safety factor. You want it done properly the first time on a tank like this that will be a feature tank.

You could easily get 10 adult discus in there providing you do regular water changes. :wink: