PDA

View Full Version : Argentina

Hassles
Tue Jul 14, 2009, 11:40 AM
Almost a month travelling through Argentina (holidays) and not 1 aquarium did I find. I stumbled upon a pet store or 2 with a few tanks but no apistos!!! bummer. However I arrived home yesterday & this afternoon I find fry in one of my 2 trifasciata tanks :) I guestimate the age to be between 7 to 10 days old. Thankfully both male & female are getting along fine, in fact they are courting again :!: PH approx 6.7, temp 25 degrees

The steindachneri have been at it yet again also & I am now rarely seeing the female bitaeniata so my fingers are crossed.

The hongsloi and macmasteri fry are doing wonderfully althouigh I lost the hongsloi male. The jurensis & cacatuoides all 'need' to leave home soon and all else is fine.

I trust you are all well.

kristina
Wed Jul 15, 2009, 03:14 AM
Again, congrats on the trifasciata... Eric has ordered the orange cacs as far as I know but if that doesn't come do you reckon you could keep some trifasciata for me? :wink:

Sorry to hear about the hongsloi male, was this your only loss over your time away?

What else is news? Call me soon, I want to catch up. Bummer we aren't closer we could have a cuppa too... :D

boydvd
Wed Jul 15, 2009, 03:47 AM
Hi Kristina,

i got 3 orange sunburst cacs recently... but they look to have a deformity in their tail. might be an inbreeding issue.

maybe you could come diwn for the Apisto SIG meeting

kristina
Wed Jul 15, 2009, 03:55 AM
boydvd: jealous. so very very jealous. take some pics for me please. please take some pics. And yes, I would love beyond measure to come down for the meeting (and see hassles and his tanks :wink: ), but unless your offering to fly me down there I am going to have to pass up the offer. :P

gingerbeer01
Wed Jul 15, 2009, 07:05 AM
fin deformities may be genetic or may be the water quality they were raised in - hence definitely worth trying to breed and raise and keep a careul eye on them.

I bred trifactiata from a deformed male with fin deformities and young are all good.

jose_vogel
Thu Nov 12, 2009, 03:03 PM
I´m from Argentina and you´re right, it´s very difficult to find some Apistos (endemic ones) here in any LFS and it´s impossible to find some imported ones.

But...there are some hobbyst that have some of them.

Next time you or someone you knows come to Argentina, feel free to contact me at jvogel@mae.com.ar

I´ll give you some borellii, trifasciata or commbrae (for free, of course)

Hassles
Fri Nov 20, 2009, 11:47 AM
I´m from Argentina and you´re right, it´s very difficult to find some Apistos (endemic ones) here in any LFS and it´s impossible to find some imported ones.

But...there are some hobbyst that have some of them.

Next time you or someone you knows come to Argentina, feel free to contact me at jvogel@mae.com.ar

I´ll give you some borellii, trifasciata or commbrae (for free, of course)

Jose

a very generous gesture but for those of us not living in Argentina I doubt we would get the fish out of the country let alone into our own countries. Export / import licenses would be required plus appropriate quarantine measures. Yes, it can be frustrating sourcing Apistos here in Australia but we (the fish community) appear to be getting better at it.

take care