PDA

View Full Version : When is it time???

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Jul 14, 2009, 01:44 AM
I have 4 discus with all the symptoms of "discus plague" except the fin rot but that could have changed since this morning. They have not responded to treatment but were still eating until this morning. They look really crook. Dark, shedding slime coat (heavy at times, other times not much), clamped fins and the odd convulsion.

Ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrate <5. Ph 6.4-6.6 and temp is as 29C.

No other fish appear to be sick at all. Stock includes otos, shrimp, khuli loaches, SAE and white clouds.

My question is how do i make the decision that there is no hope and put them down? I know its very subjective and obviously i dont want to do it prematurely. On the other hand i dont want them to suffer unecessarily.

Any advice would be very welcome.

ILLUSN
Tue Jul 14, 2009, 02:00 AM
Thats a call that no one can help you make, as most people believe that wheres theres life theres hope, with good clean water and high temps you'd be suprised how far gone same fish can go and still be brought back, alot comes down to what YOU the owner can do, I've pulled fish back from the brink before with 2xdaily 90%+ water changes and heavy metro treatment (force feeding), it was expensive and time consuming, not everyone has those resources, if YOU beilieve YOU cant fix them then the humane thing to do is euthanase.