PDA

View Full Version : What to use to protect eggs - post pics if available plz

azza
Wed Jul 08, 2009, 08:16 AM
Hi guys i have a pair of discus that dont like to keep the eggs they prefer to have a snack. What is the best item to use when it comes to protecting eggs.

Thanks

Hollowman
Wed Jul 08, 2009, 12:06 PM
There are some quite strong views on this. Some say put a guard over the eggs because they are getting eaten by the parents, some say that if they are egg eaters, do not even try to breed them as it is a genetic trait which can be passed on.
Look at it this way, young parents often eat the eggs because they know no different. A mature pair will tend the eggs without eating them, without a guard.

H

JodiePa
Wed Jul 15, 2009, 12:00 PM
I use plastic wire mesh around 10cm x 20cm, make a hole and insert a glass sucker at the top. The parent are able to see the eats and guard them.

If the parent sense danger or under stress they'll eat the eggs. I always use wire mesh to protect the eggs.

Happy Breeding

azza
Sun Jul 19, 2009, 08:52 AM
what happens if the male eats them before he fertilizes them. I was watching from an area that he could not see me and it frustrates me seeing this happen

Hollowman
Sun Jul 19, 2009, 10:36 AM
Azza, some will tell you to stop using that male. Sometimes, once they get the taste, they just keep on doing it, period. I have a friend who will never use an egg eating fish to breed.

JodiePa
Sun Jul 19, 2009, 02:56 PM
We will change the male. Try breeding it with another female if it eat the eggs again don't breed it anymore. :cry:
Usually parent fish don't eat their eggs unless there is something wrong with the eggs or the enviroment. Check water quality,lighting, shadow etc.. :idea:

Keep trying with some changes