PDA

View Full Version : im new to discus need advice !!!!!!!!

dom2106
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 04:27 PM
i have recently taken the plunge and have started a discus tank i have a aqua one ar620t 140liters aswell as the built in trickle filter i have added a tetratech ex700 i have set it up as a planted tank with a garvel substrate
i brought 6 young discus 6 weeks ago from a local breeder they are blue turks i know i will have to get rid of some as they get bigger but thought they would setle in better as a larger group i have 10 various tetras 4 corydors and 5 2inch clown loach the discus all are in great health and eat like pigs i am using the original lighting but this doesnt seem to show off there blue solour very well and ideas of what type of tubes i should be using and what would be a good background colour ???cheers :D :D

Hollowman
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 04:44 PM
Sounds like an overcrowded tank to me,

Young fish will do far better in a bare tank to get them to look and grow well. They need lots of big water changes and lots of good food to grow, so keeping them in a bare tank (even thin sand bottom) is far better than planted. With a planted tank all the uneaten food will rot between the gravel and lower your water quality to a point where the fish with, what we call stunt.
Use the search facitlity to research bare bottom tanks, and stunting fish.

hth

Steve

dom2106
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 05:28 PM
I seem 2 be getting mixed replys on the subject of a bare tank vs planted i when i first put the fish in the tank was bare they spent the first 2 weeks hiding in a corner and wouldnt eat i added some fake plants and a bit of bogwood and they started to venture out a bit more but still wouldnt eat and they wouldnt eat properly untill a added substrate and plants this was 2 and a half weeks later they have grown alot since then they were 2 1/2inches iwhen i got them the bigest is 4inch now???

Hollowman
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 05:37 PM
I am not an expert, but I know that a BB is far better for growing out young discus, I would never do it any other way.
I would be interested to see pics of your tank, and know your water change regime and water parameters. Believe me, you won't get conflicting views on raising discus. Even though raising can be done in a planted tank, it is not easy and as I said before, you cannot keep the water good enough for them this way.

I will certainly try to help you, but please be open to suggestion. Remember, all the fish raised in Asia are raised in bare tanks, period. They can't be wrong.

Steve

dom2106
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 05:49 PM
im sorry didnt mean 2 sound rude its just that i have had so many different people telling me different things its hard 2 know what to do all i know is they werent eating when i had a bare tank and they are now my readings are ammonia 0 nitrate 0 nitrite 10 i do a 25% water change twice a week my ph is 7 i dont really wanna empty the tank unless i really have too the plants cost me alot of money

Hollowman
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 06:01 PM
You never sounded rude my friend, dont worry :wink:

Many people have lots of views and many different ways of doing things, each is generally to suit their situation and ability. BUT..... healthy discus will not starve themselves to death, they will eat, it sometimes takes time, sometimes takes different foods, but they will eat.
Your water sounds ok to me, what temp is it at though? should be about 28-30C Some of your plants won't take the higher temps, but the discus will love it.
For me though, to give them a bit more space I would move the clown loaches out, they are not a really great tankmate as they are too fast moving for discus, and they will shy away and not eat, specially as the loaches get bigger. The other fish are fine. Also, I would up the water to 33% at least twice a week instead of 25%, it will help.

I still wanna see pics though :)

dom2106
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 06:31 PM
ive got one of them stupid dongle modems it wont let me upload pics my temp is 30 any ideas on a dlack background ???

dom2106
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 06:32 PM
black background !!!!

Hollowman
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 06:37 PM
yes, dump it, paint the back of the tank white, or very pale sky blue, it will help lift the fidh's colour. All my tanks are white

dom2106
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 06:47 PM
thought it was a bad idea painted it black yesterday the blues in the fish look brighter but there general colour is darker think your right about the clowns too they keep startling the discus

Hollowman
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 06:51 PM
yes, they will startle the discus, it can lead to damage when they knock into the sides and objects in the tank. I would re-home them if you can.

dom2106
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 07:32 PM
your put the clowns on aquarist classifids thanks for your help :P :P

Hollowman
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 07:45 PM
Dom, Clowns are nice fish, just ime, not good with discus. Others will have their opinions, but I dont keep them for the very reason you have already seen.

Keep us updated bud,

Steve

dom2106
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 08:14 PM
will do thanks again .
is there a forum on here that i can advertise the clowns on ????

Hollowman
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 09:18 PM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19