PDA

View Full Version : im new to discus need advice !!!!!!!!

dom2106
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 04:23 PM
I have recently taken the plunge and have started a discus tank i have a aqua one ar620t 140liters aswell as the built in trickle filter i have added a tetratech ex700 i have set it up as a planted tank with a garvel substrate
i brought 6 young discus 6 weeks ago from a local breeder they are blue turks i know i will have to get rid of some as they get bigger but thought they would setle in better as a larger group i have 10 various tetras 4 corydors and 5 2inch clown loach the discus all are in great health and eat like pigs i am using the original lighting but this doesnt seem to show off there blue solour very well and ideas of what type of tubes i should be using and what would be a good background colour ???cheers :D :D

dean_alicia
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 11:41 PM
a nice blue background will show off the discus colours..

bobgar
Thu Aug 13, 2009, 02:34 AM
I would recommend a Black background. You can paint the back of the glass with any normal acrylic black paint to get an amazing contrast between the Blue Turq. Otherwise, go for the fake black rock background. They are sold in about 60-70cm lengths from your local LFS.

Also, add a Marine Blue light and a Marine white light to ensure that the luminscence of the Discus really stand out in the tank. Without these tubes, you will not get the same effect.

Good luck :D

Hollowman
Thu Aug 13, 2009, 05:03 PM
A dark back ground will also darken the fish as they try to blend in. I use a light sky blue or white on my tanks, works a treat.