PDA

View Full Version : Redundancy

AHC
Fri Jul 03, 2009, 12:49 AM
Arrrgh. So the recession hits Insurance Australia Group and the company goes in for its 3rd restructure in 12 months. This time my role is not safe and its being redundant.

If anyones gone through it before, you know what im feeling. Its scary, but exciting at the same time. Im confident i will find a new job... but it still consumes you. Maybe i will have more time to spend researching/on forums etc. Need to buy more eco complete and plant in some chain swords. Also need to scape the ricca i have floating in my tank.

How much can i sell 'high fives' for..... :?

TW
Fri Jul 03, 2009, 05:22 AM
Sorry to hear this. No-one's job is safe ATM. We had a big wave of staff redundancies a few months back - that time I was safe, but who knows if I will survive the next round.

All the best with your job hunting & have fun on the forums & tank scapes in the meantime.

AHC
Fri Jul 03, 2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks Robyn :o

sf108
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 03:30 AM
Best wishes...but make sure you don't cut back on the upkeep of the fish you keep! :D

Matt15
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 05:59 AM
Fingers crossed for you Aaron and Robyn. It's never easy having the looming prospect over your head of loosing your job.

Unfortunately for me my work only gets more and more busy each day the recession grows. People feel the need to steal and do things they wouldn't normally do in order to get by. Majority of them get caught for the courts to decide there fate. Then there are those who decide to take there own lives as things just get too hard for them. It's a lose, lose situation really.
Hopefully things will get back on track soon.

Hollowman
Tue Jul 07, 2009, 12:29 PM
I was made redundant a few years ago from GKN Westland Helicopters, been there 8 years. I know how you feel, pretty scary, specially if you have a mortgage and bills to pay.
I wish you luck Aaron, just make your Resume as sweet and full as you can, you'll be snapped up by another company, just wait.
That said, you have to have a flexible outlook, just in case you don't get your first choice job right off the bat.

take care bud

Steve

AHC
Thu Jul 09, 2009, 04:07 AM
Thanks Everyone,

My first view is how unproductive restructures are in the short term.. I guess it makes up for it long term though. My time has pretty much been spent handing over work, long chats in the corridors, signing off on duties and having extended lunches. Have started recruitment interviews and things are looking positive. There are lots of jobs, however lots of applicants so it comes down to how well you sell yourself. My second view is in line with yours Steve - I have a nice resume so keep positive and things will fall into place.

Im looking forward to finishing my tank. :P

Robyn - the best of luck for you. Hang in there.

If i knew my retrenchment was coming id probably use up some of my 10+ weeks of sick leave before hand. now i dont have time to use it. A little tip i heard on the radio once - Lie on the bed facing up and hang your head off the side when you call in sick. It actually makes you sound sick. :lol:

AHC
Wed Nov 18, 2009, 02:09 AM
Bugger - I almost forgot to update. I started a new job last Monday the 9th November. Woo Hoo. I was offered a Business Analyst position within Aon Benfield's Analytics team. So far the last week and a bit has been very busy and have been thrown right in to help things move along.

Its good to have income coming in again.

On that note, for those that are aware of my newish tank being done - i have decided to change the scape of it - before it is even finished. :oops:
I will update reason in my journal soon.

Mr Wild
Wed Nov 18, 2009, 06:56 AM
CONGRATULATIONS AARON :!: :D :D :D

Great news, looking forward to the new scape!

TW
Wed Nov 18, 2009, 08:50 AM
Good one, Aaron. That's great news !

lpiasente
Thu Nov 19, 2009, 12:59 AM
:D

Hollowman
Thu Nov 19, 2009, 10:14 AM
Brilliant news Aaron

Steve

Old Dave
Sat Nov 21, 2009, 07:46 AM
Still p****s me off that those at the top who are paid to avoid/manage these events get paid big bonuses but the people at the bottom of the tree get shafted.
So not fair!

Remember the Monkey Tree?
The monkey at the top of the tree looks down & sees only smiling faces.
The monkey at the bottom of the tree looks up and only sees A**holes.

jmo, :twisted: :twisted:
Old Dave

BigDaddyAdo
Sat Nov 21, 2009, 08:03 AM
Thats great news !!!!!

Old Dave
Sat Nov 21, 2009, 08:50 AM
Still p****s me off that those at the top who are paid to avoid/manage these events get paid big bonuses but the people at the bottom of the tree get shafted.
So not fair!

Remember the Monkey Tree?
The monkey at the top of the tree looks down & sees only smiling faces.
The monkey at the bottom of the tree looks up and only sees A**holes.

jmo, :twisted: :twisted:
Old Dave

AHC
Sun Nov 22, 2009, 04:20 AM
Thanks guys.

You're right Dave. I found out that the new CEO of IAG, who requested the restructure 7 months after stepping into the role after our old CEO resigned, gave himself a $200k bonus. Thats messed up.

That said, leaving the company was the best thing ever. I have landed a great role and am a hole lot happier.

Old Dave
Sun Nov 22, 2009, 04:42 AM
Great news that you like your new job. :thumb

Now you can make a real difference just by enjoying your work more.
And your fishies, of course. :wink: :wink:

Dave