PDA

View Full Version : My first pair

sharkies
Mon Jun 29, 2009, 01:26 AM
I have a 6 x2x2 with a mix of discus , and noticed a while back that a Red neon turk (m) and a pidgeon blood (f) looked like they where pairing up, not long after I went to do a water change and discovered them laying. I left them in the community tank as I have read that it makes them better parents if they have to defend their eggs, well the male was excellent and did his job but the female didn't seem to fussed and would go over every now and them and have a look and then go on her way. Once the fry hatched they lasted till they started free swimming and where picked of until none where left. I then move the pair to a breeding tank and they layed again the next day, again the fry got to the the free swimming stage and they layed again and mum proceeded to eat all free swimmers, bugger !!
Once the new lot hatched mum was removed to the community tank and dad has done real well raising the fry. It has been an excellent experiance as my 11 year old son is right into it and the breeding tank is in his room.
See pictures of dad and fry below.

Fishontherun
Mon Jun 29, 2009, 02:56 AM
wow ..congrats !! she must have gone thru the first few batches of fy ... nope.. don't like .. eat ... nope.. don't like ..eat ... hehhe

swingn
Mon Jun 29, 2009, 03:46 AM
Glad to hear you've got it working for you :D

Keep up the good work :D

bronco
Thu Jul 02, 2009, 09:37 AM
great job mate, can i ask how big those discus are btw? because i just want to know how big do discus have to be roughly till they start pairing and breeding.

mcloughlin2
Thu Jul 02, 2009, 10:45 AM
bronco, refer to this thread;

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4426

Bill Tune
Thu Jul 02, 2009, 11:26 PM
That does it!
I'm starting work on a breeding tank set up.
I have a pair in a communal tank - they keep on putting down eggs & then terrible tradgedy strikes!!!!!!

Zephaniah
Fri Jul 10, 2009, 04:47 AM
Is it me, or does that discus look stunted?

Hollowman
Fri Jul 10, 2009, 02:40 PM
Is it me, or does that discus look stunted?

yes it is :(

bronco
Sat Jul 11, 2009, 12:13 AM
nice info there mcloughlin2, i got another qs if anyone can answer, how often do discuses breed in a year, is it a monthly thing, or just when they want to or right water conditions?

Hollowman
Sat Jul 11, 2009, 07:10 AM
Tough one to answer, it is generally down to the condition of the fish and the quality of their water. Some females will lay every 10 or so days, if the conditions are right. Sometimes they will go off the boil and only lay once a month, and even stop altogether until they have a better mate.

Water conditions for me are paramount, and if right, will/can induce a female to spawn.

hth

Steve

bradalj
Sun Jul 19, 2009, 03:20 AM
Just curious, how could you both tell it was "stunted"?

DiscusDave
Sun Jul 19, 2009, 03:43 AM
It's based on the size of the eye. The rule of thumb is you should be able to duplicate the eye vertically along the black bar on the face and fit 7 1/2 eyes. It's not genetic so wont be passed on to the fry - it's caused by less than optimal nutrition when the fish was growing.

Hollowman
Sun Jul 19, 2009, 05:55 AM
It's based on the size of the eye. The rule of thumb is you should be able to duplicate the eye vertically along the black bar on the face and fit 7 1/2 eyes. It's not genetic so wont be passed on to the fry - it's caused by less than optimal nutrition when the fish was growing.

Just adding to that Dave, and I think for me, more importantly, are water conditions. Poor water is a major factor that contributes to stunting fish. Another classic trait is the rugby ball shape. A good fish should be nice and round.
hth