PDA

View Full Version : what will I get

lpiasente
Sun Jun 21, 2009, 11:53 AM
The blue diamond and the pigeon blood I have in critique have paired up and are attempting to lay eggs. If they are to be sucsessful what would the babies look like?

Hollowman
Sun Jun 21, 2009, 08:16 PM
Peppered pigeons, not desirable Leanne. Why not put the BD and this fish in the same tank and let them get together, a far better crossing imo

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19367

lpiasente
Sun Jun 21, 2009, 09:18 PM
Hi Steve these 2 are both girls so that wouldn't work. :). I imagined they would be beautiful but my brother said the same, not a good mix. I just wanted to know if any wrigglers survived if it would be worth setting up a new tank for them. As I don't have any room left myself I would have to sell them or give them away. Thanks

Hollowman
Sun Jun 21, 2009, 09:50 PM
Leanne,

I think this is the trouble with the hobby fish business today, and also the reason that many people new to the hobby of keeping discus start off on the wrong foot.
Please do not take this personally, ok, but too many people raise badly crossed fish and want to make a quick buck by offloading them to a lfs or friends. In my opinion, this is not a step forward for the hobby. You know as well as me that once you get bitten by the bug, you want more and higher quality fish. Noobs are fooled by the greedy lfs (not all of course, there are exceptions) that these fish are the norm, then when they show them off here or in other forums, and their fish get slated.
If you have fish that are poorly crossed and you want to try to raise them to prove that you can, that is fine, but don't offload them. Use them for sacrificial lambs, cull or put them in a show tank.

Maybe look at it as if they were a breed of dog, why would you want to breed a mongral, they end up as strays. But, breed pedigree and people will want them.

I hope that all makes sence, just my opinion, just breed true if you can.

Steve

m.ingram
Sun Jun 21, 2009, 10:47 PM
Hey leanne i think you should put your bd with your leopard snakeskin.Thats would be a nice pair, or with your bd with the albino that might work too.

lpiasente
Mon Jun 22, 2009, 08:28 AM
Steve, I so agree with you that is why I asked what I would get if they crossed. I really don't want to breed but it seems to be happening naturally in my tank, 2 x pairs and cories laying eggs everywhere, must be something in the water :) I will do nothing to encorage the hatchings but if it happens I was wondering if it was worth setting up a tank to grow them out. Answer seems not. That's all good
thanks

Hollowman
Mon Jun 22, 2009, 12:33 PM
I am not against trying to raise fish Leanne, it is all part of the learning curve. When they pair up natrally in the tank what can you do, unless you have room to work with them.

But hey, you must be doing something right with all that passion going on in your water :lol: Can you bottle some and post it over :wink: I think I need a drink!! :shock:

lpiasente
Mon Jun 22, 2009, 09:23 PM
:lol: