PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Agassizi's

Nic
Thu Jun 18, 2009, 08:17 AM
Hi again guys.
Just bought a male and female Apistogramma Agassizi. Just wondering wether or not i should buy another couple of females as ive read these are "harem" breeders, meaning they need a group of females to pair with.
Any other requirements, setup and 'how-to' regarding the breeding of these fish would be much apprieciated.

Nic

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Jun 18, 2009, 10:41 AM
What are the dimensions of the tank footprint?

boydvd
Fri Jun 19, 2009, 08:24 AM
i bought a pair, they spawned in 4 days. the female then ate her eggs. when i added a 2nd female and they got reall violent and all died. not sure what happened there. they were in a 2 foot tank with lots of pots and caves.

i have pair of Santa Maria agassizi but they don't seem too interested in spawning, i think the female has fungus on her body and not that well.

Noddy65
Fri Jun 19, 2009, 09:05 AM
In a 2 footer I would only have one male and one female...be prepared to remove the male as some females can become husband killers.... they are a pretty easy fish to breed and raise the young.....

If I was you...just go for the pair....dont put in any extra girls

Mike

I really have to get back into apistos :(

Nic
Fri Jun 19, 2009, 12:19 PM
yer, there great fish noddy, especially ur default piccy u have...is it a banded dwarf cihlid by chance...and would they be available to get hold of...haha i like the look of them.
Yes they will go into a 2 footer so that answers my question perfectly...water conditions and tips for raising the young by chance guys?

boydvd
Sat Jun 20, 2009, 08:17 AM
i am keeping an eye on them. i put n a little salt and pepper shaker and the female seems to be swimming in and out and guarding it. fingers crossed!!

i also picked up a apri of agssizi like in your profile pic. they were sold to me as german santa maria agassizi

kristina
Thu Jun 25, 2009, 03:30 AM
water conditions : pH below 6.5 is desirable for breeding, if not lower. I haven't bred them before but a friend of mine uses microworms to feed the fry. Good luck with them.

boydvd
Thu Jun 25, 2009, 08:51 AM
hi Kristina
i think both females have ate her eggs :(

oh well, i'm giving them RO water and trying to get the TDS level to 40ppm. also giving them black worms and brine shrimp.

Hassles gave me a microworm culture, but now babies to feed the worms to :(