PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Baby Discus HELP!!

DiscusMadness
Thu Jun 18, 2009, 02:48 AM
I have just recently purchased my first batch of discus. Of which, I have 2 red leopards, 2 blue leopards, and 3 red melon babies. The 4 larger discus are all about 4-5 inches, and they are very healthy and eating multiple times a day, however my concern lies within the younger ones. I've tried feeding them in various ways, they just do not seem to eat. Its been about 3 days now and i'm growing very concerned. If anyone has experienced this or knows how to resolve this issue, I would greatly appreciate it.

-Sam

ants
Thu Jun 18, 2009, 04:23 AM
Brine Shrimp will get their interest I would say

ILLUSN
Thu Jun 18, 2009, 04:27 AM
live brineshrimp, or if you have them in your area live mozzi wrigglers.

swingn
Thu Jun 18, 2009, 04:33 AM
Excuse my ignorance, but did you have any other larger discus in the tank when you added the newbies?

Never a wise move adding smaller discus to an established tank with larger ones... Trust me, I've made that mistake before :P

In terms of feeding, black worms I've found to be a good choice... Maybe feeding them a mixture of food - IE Flakes, black worms etc could help.

DiscusMadness
Thu Jun 18, 2009, 04:51 AM
i bought all the discus at the same time. but the babies seem to be frightened most of the time, as they tend to cluster together in one corner of the tank. and ive tried feeding them live brines and frozen bloodworms

swingn
Thu Jun 18, 2009, 05:07 AM
Did they all come out of the same tank when you purchased them?

Just trying to get more info so perhaps one of the more experienced guys can help you out :D

bronco
Mon Jun 22, 2009, 02:36 PM
hi, i also have 2 small juvi discus with 3 large ones, what i suggest is feeding them bloodworms, because mine hated, tetra bits, and brine shrimp, at first, but try all, but i had success with bloodworms,

After a while all of the discuss will gain confidence and not shy, and all mine eat from my hand now and eat everything even flakes. which is there less prefered.