PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE ON AGING WATER

jeffa
Tue Jun 16, 2009, 01:40 PM
Hi

Can you guys tell me the best way on aging water for my discus please?

what to use,what to add & how long for befor useing?

Thanks

Jef

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 16, 2009, 01:49 PM
get a spare tank or water drum, add water, adjust the ph with buffers or HCl add prime (i use a 2x dose) heat the water to temp and just bubble air through it for 24hrs then your good to go.

bartek
Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:25 PM
As suggested get some large drums. I got mine of ebay for $15 each for a 200L.

Add water to the drum, seachem prime, some buffer if you need to and leave it for at least a few days with a heater and air stone running in the drum.

This is what I do but I only age my water for about 24hrs as I need to have the drum inside to get access to power.

ozarowana
Sat Jul 25, 2009, 01:36 PM
What are your tap water parameters? i.e. KH, GH, pH, chlorine or chloramine, nitrite, ammonia?
Is the water for growing out fish or breeding?

RDavies
Fri Dec 18, 2009, 07:53 PM
Just wondering how long water should be aged, if it is just left outside in 20 liter containers? The water where I live has low PH and is fairly soft, so I dont need to do anything there, how long does it take for the chlorine to become inactive if I just let it sit outside in 20L containers with the lids off? I usualy change 60L at a time for my 500L tank.

m.ingram
Fri Dec 18, 2009, 10:32 PM
I think clorine only lasts for about 24hrs .Most seem to age there water for at least 24hrs with conditioners like prime.

ILLUSN
Sat Dec 19, 2009, 12:46 AM
chlorine will degreade within a few hours of direct sunlight. as a result most water treatment pnats use chloroamine which is diatomic chlorine attached to an amide (ammonia) group, this makes the chlorine more stable and even if the chlorine is separated with exposure to sunlight the ammonia hangs around and can poison your fish.

always use a water ager and make sure it also remove chloroamine.

TW
Sat Dec 19, 2009, 12:46 AM
Sounds right, just also make sure you air bubble it while it's aging.