PDA

View Full Version : albino

lpiasente
Sat Jun 13, 2009, 05:00 AM
I paid a bit for this fellow and I think maybe he is a little stunted. Still I think a very pretty boy?? Does anyone know what type of albino he is?

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn175/lpiasente/DSCF3441.jpg

lpiasente
Tue Jun 16, 2009, 09:11 PM
:(

TW
Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:38 PM
Hi Lpiasente

I think you have a very pretty albino, but it was because I didn't know the type that I didn't respond before. I have what's called a "mixed" albino and an "alenquer" albino (as well as my sick white pearl albinos). The first 2 are similar, but not exactly the same as yours.

Hollowman
Wed Jun 17, 2009, 04:51 PM
Leanne, I hope you never paid too much for this guy. :?

lpiasente
Wed Jun 17, 2009, 11:00 PM
Yep, I paid $150. That was a few months ago. I was told he was only a young fish and back then I wasn't really sure and I trusted the seller.I have had him now for around 8-10 weeks and he isn't really growing and now he is swimming around the tank with his boy bits showing so I thought maybe I was stung. So is he not bred well or is he just stunted?

lpiasente
Wed Jun 17, 2009, 11:55 PM
The other 3 in critique were from different suppliers but I also bought them as A grade fish. Did I get stung there as well? It would be nice to know so I know which sellers to trust if I ever up grade to bigger tanks and need more stock. Or Steve you could always fly over from the UK to come shopping with me. :)

lpiasente
Wed Jun 17, 2009, 11:58 PM
That's ok Robyn. I think no one wanted to hurt my feelings. But it is all ok he adds a nice colour to the tank and I will call him Shorty!!

rwel4809
Thu Jun 18, 2009, 04:06 AM
If he's not growing he might need worming?

Stunted fish might not grow to be super huge show fish, but you can still improve their condition with good feeding, and clean water.

Good luck getting 'shorty' into condition :)

R

lpiasente
Thu Jun 18, 2009, 04:51 AM
He was wormed when I first got him. He has a fat tummy just like all the others but he certainally has not taken off like my other young ones. I have 8 month olds much bigger than him. What age do they start showing their boy bits?

Hollowman
Thu Jun 18, 2009, 12:25 PM
Leanne, all I need is the air-fare, and I'll shop til I drop for you ok :lol:

Seriously though, I would say that it is stunted, the shape is way off for me. The ventral fins are too long for a young fish, and the eyes are out of proportion, classic signs I am afraid. It can still be happy and I am sure you are happy, but for $150 you can do way better.

It might be worth buying Andrew's books or Trophey Discus to get a better impression of what to avoid and what to look for.

Steve :)

lpiasente
Thu Jun 18, 2009, 09:59 PM
I will get Andrews book. I don't have any more room for more fish but I would still love to have a look in the book. I know it will make me want to get a bigger tank so I can have more. I don't think I will buy juvies anymore as I find it a bit hard to tell if they are stunted and I do have a few.

Cooldaddyfunk286
Fri Jun 19, 2009, 01:55 AM
yeah, the first chapter of Andrews first book is really great. every little aspect of selecting quality discus is in there. what an incredible book. I havnt read the whole thing yet, just got it a few days ago. but you should really pick it up.