PDA

View Full Version : Wild discus with other aquarium Discus

nando
Fri Jun 12, 2009, 12:43 PM
Hi,

I have a friend who is quitting aquariums and has one Wild disucs, can I mix it with my discus? My discus are not wild, they are blue diamonds.

I am afraid of bacteria it might have?? Well i apreciate any help,

Thank You.

//Fernando

TW
Fri Jun 12, 2009, 01:31 PM
Whilst I prefer to see Wilds with Wilds, I do currently have 2 wild browns in with my domestics. Eventually they will be moving in with my other wild browns, but not for a little while.

IMO, you will need to QT the wild discus for about 6 weeks on it's own. Then transfer one discus from your community tank into the tank with the wild one & leave them together for at least 4 weeks. This domestic is acting as a "hero" fish. If he doesn't get sick from being with the wild, then you are fairly safe to transfer the wild into your domestic tank.

No method is foolproof. Things can still happen - but they could also happen when you add a new domestic.

The longer you you leave the 1 "hero" fish with the wild one in QT, the more sure you can be. I am on the overly cautious side. I usually QT new fish (wild or domestic) for 8 weeks & then 6-8 weeks with hero fish before the new fish goes anywhere near my display tanks.

nando
Mon Jun 15, 2009, 08:32 AM
Thank for info, mate.