PDA

View Full Version : Disguise and Identity

BobbyBruce
Thu Jun 11, 2009, 07:35 AM
Looking for some help on this one.

I was doing a water change the other day and noticed a few broken segments of plants stuck together and moving against the flow of the water (unable to locate camera at the time). This collection of bits then attached to some sword leaves. I gently grabbed hold of this thing but couldn't see anything holding the collection together (a small amount of force was required to dislodge from the plants).

For those of you who also spend some time outdoors away from the aquaria it had a strong resemblance to the "case moth" set up where twigs are used as a covering for the caterpillars as they move around.

While I have now located the camera I have not been able to sight whatever it was in the tank so no pics sorry.

I'm thinking it must have been the larval phase of some type of aquatic insect. Anyone else have any ideas, seen something similar?

Regards,

Bob

AHC
Fri Jun 12, 2009, 01:03 AM
Sorry bob. :?

You wern't on Grandpa's old cough medicine were you? :roll:

jluna
Fri Jun 12, 2009, 06:06 AM
many aquatic insect larvae make silken tubes and camouflage them with debris - caddis flies readily come to mind, but i know there are heaps of others. you may have dislodged the resident when you pulled on the 'case' - if so, it will make another.

BobbyBruce
Fri Jun 12, 2009, 06:27 AM
Hi jluna,

Thanks for the information. Just wondering why there is only one. I have no idea where it might have come from unless it came in as an egg with the water I get. Seems unlikely as I am using RO water straight from the machine.

Is it likely to present a danger to my fish or fry? If so it will be taking a hike in the very near future.

Regards,

Bob

ILLUSN
Fri Jun 12, 2009, 06:55 AM
I'm sure it will be harmless to your fish, if anything your fish will see it as food if it ever comes out

BobbyBruce
Fri Jun 12, 2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks for that,

Did a search on Caddis flies as suggested by jluna, very informative, very interesting, don't think I'll take them up as part of the hobby though. Generally believed to be vegetarians.

Regards,

Bob