PDA

View Full Version : Water Current Question

Nic
Mon Jun 08, 2009, 08:00 AM
Hi again guys,
Just curious, i am about to take the plunge into keeping 'The King's' and was wondering how i can reduce the current around my tank.
I have an Ehiem 2012 Internal filtering away rather nicely. Only thing is that it creates rather alot of current and i know Discus dont really apprieciate that kind of thing.

Any ideas to help me get around this one would be muchly sought after..
Thx
Nic

BobbyBruce
Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:14 AM
Hi Nic,

A number of years ago I was using an internal filter as well and not really appreciating the whirlpool effect which was also tying up a lot of my plants.

I bought some tubing with some corner pieces and ran a line from the filter to the other end of the tank and used a normal spray bar to operate the same way that an external canister would work.

Cleaning was fairly easy, when changing water I would take of the internal containers and rinse the filter media in the discarded water.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Bob

Nic
Tue Jun 09, 2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks Bruce,
The only trouble is that it doesnt actually have a 'normal' kind of water output. It has a movable piece... when i get back from holidays i will get a pic up to show everybody what i mean. Its quite a funny little outlet. Thanks for ur idea anyway.
Nic

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 09, 2009, 01:40 AM
Just aim the output at the glass, it will cut the current.

bartek
Tue Jun 09, 2009, 03:38 AM
On a slightly side topic. Is the 2012 the only filter your going to be running in the tank that your doing to put the discus in? If so then I would say that its not going to be enough filtration for any more then 2 discus in a 100L tank.