PDA

View Full Version : Syphon Hoses

chris
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 05:26 AM
Has any one noticed there syphon hose getting blacker and blacker can these hoses be cleaned or do you have to buy a new one :shock:

Merrilyn
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 07:35 AM
depending on the length, you can run a brush thru the hose or if too long make up a brush cleaner yourself. Get a piece of filter floss and tie with a piece of string. Make the string longer than the length of the hose by about 12 inches. Attach a small weight to the free end of the string i.e. fishing sinker or similar, and drop the weight and string into the hose and out thru the other end. Now pull, and the wad of filter floss will be pulled thru the pipe, leaving it nice and clean. Experiment a bit with the size of the floss. It should be a snug fit, but not too tight.

dreamer
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 07:43 AM
its easier to stuff the hose with big chunk of floss and run it through with water ...the pressure push the floss out to the other end :)

flukes
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:51 PM
I used too clean it, but then id buy another clear hose from bunnings. After that i just bought a 30meter garden hose and cut a new one when neccessary.

chris
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:57 PM
Sounds like the go flukes I can choose how long I wont the hose.

flukes
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:59 PM
Yeah well iam setting up a new tank and will need 15meters each time, i used too have the tank next to the window with a rose garden infront of it, the loved the waste..!!

Mattzilla
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 01:59 PM
i used to clean it but don't bother anymore.... not sure it's worth the hastle

Littlefish
Thu Feb 03, 2005, 09:07 AM
For long hoses, pipes etc., I use a plumber's snake (flexible rod) available from hardware outlets. Tape a baby's bottle brush to the end and you can scrub away.

Fred :)

nicholas76
Sat Feb 05, 2005, 12:42 PM
no point in cleaning.

nothing more than an water / algae stain.

just send some boiling hot water through it if your stressed about it.

kalebjarrod
Sat Feb 05, 2005, 10:01 PM
it would be no dirter than your pipes coming from your canisters / sumps

i don't bother its only algee