PDA

View Full Version : reverse osmosis

lpiasente
Fri Jun 05, 2009, 10:55 PM
I have decided to add a reverse osmosis system for my fishies. Seems there is a lot of different ones are very different prices. Does anyone recommend a particular brand?

mourt
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 01:48 AM
Just be aware that there can be a lot of waste water. Usually on a standard RO system about 5 parts waste water to 1 part permeate water.

You can reduce this down considerably with more equipment, but that is extra money.

waitaki
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 12:05 PM
I got mine from psifilters -the owner Peter has developed one specially for Aquariums - he told me he also used to raise discus
Its a good unit and you can use it as drinking water as well

Robdog
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 01:50 PM
Seachem and JBL

DiscusDave
Mon Jul 20, 2009, 10:57 PM
I've got a Sechem unit. I also had to buy a booster pump since my mains pressure was lower than the minimum required pressure (got it from Peter and psifilters as well).

boydvd
Tue Jul 21, 2009, 02:02 AM
i got mine from PSI filters and. it works well. I put the waste water into the garden. It has a valve that lets me adjust how much water i push through the membrane. water out of the unit comes at 23ppm (which Peter who sold me said you need 40ppm for discus) so usually i bring it down to 18ppm for my community tank.
For my apisto tanks i set it at about 9-10ppm. the fish seem happy enough. but no living fry yet (fingers crossed)

i think if i wasn't so lazy with aging water, i would have gone with that option and saved a lot of money. but i'm a gadget guy and have spent a fortune on Aquarium toys!

khemo
Mon Aug 10, 2009, 02:26 AM
I got mine from psifilters -the owner Peter has developed one specially for Aquariums - he told me he also used to raise discus
Its a good unit and you can use it as drinking water as well

I'm in the market for a RO unit as well. I inquired about that unit (PSI-020A) but Peter is out of the the needle valve that is required for the unit and doesn't know when he'll get it back in stock so anymore suggestions?