PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Discus Tank - New Tank Ideas

pkth
Wed Jun 03, 2009, 11:52 AM
Hi,

I haven't been online in ages but just got back from overseas and have been inspired by some of my friends tanks to upgrade my meagre small 160L corner tank to something more grand for my Discus.

I currently am keeping 3 juvenile discus (7-9cm) in size along with some corys but am looking to upgrade this to around 6-8 discus, 6 bristlenose of varied varieties and sizes, 10-20 kuhli loaches and 2 pairs of Appisto south american cichlids if possible (all will be acclimatised to 30 degrees by LFS before being put in the warmer discus tank).

My problem is that in the wonderful world of fishkeeping there are so many different pieces of equipment to choose from I am unable to make up my mind and would like other peoples opinions on the 3 current viable tank options I have been researching.

Option 1
This is the most radical, but I really like the new "Red Sea Max 250" aquarium and stand

http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/250Temp/redseamax/Red_Sea_MAX_HP_250.html

I know it is originally designed for a marine setup but I would use it the way its designed just with freshwater. The added things like the skimmer and stuff would only help to maintain the already high water quality specs I have now.

The filtration is for marine but is basically a sump so in my view is slightly to superior than canister filters, so should cope easily with keeping the water clean.

What do people think about using the Max 250 as a freshwater tank instead of the original use as a marine tank? is it viable? or are there to many pieces of equipment on it that i dont really need?

Option 2
Would be to buy a standard 4 x 2 x 2 approx 400L and use a sump filter

Option 3
Would be to again buy a standard 4 x 2 x 2 and to select 2 canister flters from the selection

http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2242

http://www.aquaristikshop.com/cgi-bin/neu/webshop.pl?f=NR&c=207601&t=temartic_e&userid=lKzKXxvqgc6eCuy6t8oe6JaI2TNmbsPcj4b

http://www.aquaristikshop.com/cgi-bin/neu/webshop.pl?f=NR&c=232902&t=temartic_e&userid=lKzKXxvqgc6eCuy6t8oe6JaI2TNmbsPcj4b

I would like to know peoples opinions of each of the options and also which one would be the best way to go (my personal favourite is option 1), but I want to get this right so I am looking to get as much feedback before I decide which path to go down.

Also will my tank be overloaded with my fish wishlist as I will change it accordingly?

rwel4809
Wed Jun 03, 2009, 10:41 PM
Hi Paul..

Personally I would go with option 3. The more water volume the better IMO.

I don't have any experience with sumps so I can't advise on that..

As for filters... I haven't used thermo filters.. for 400 litres it would be more cost effective to go with 2 x Eheim Classic 2217's most of us here use the classic Eheim range, they don't break down and they are economical.

The Red Sea Max 250 looks great, but you're better off going for maximum water volume to keep the fish in the best condition.

If you want to have an ideal set up for discus, don't forget to budget for a large plastic barrel (half the volume of your biggest tank is best, so aim for 200litres) with a heater and pump so that you can pretreat, heat and age the water so that you can do big, regular waterchanges to keep you fish nice and healthy. :)

HTH

R.

rwel4809
Wed Jun 03, 2009, 10:46 PM
BTW - you could only keep 4, maybe 5 discus max in a 250 litre - the rule of thumb is 40-45 litres per discus.

Not sure about the khuli loaches and apistos.. better to keep it simple IMO.. 400 litres would be good for 6-8 discus, a few dozen rummy nose and or cardinal tetras and some BNs..

R.

mourt
Thu Jun 25, 2009, 01:20 AM
BTW - you could only keep 4, maybe 5 discus max in a 250 litre - the rule of thumb is 40-45 litres per discus.

Not sure about the khuli loaches and apistos.. better to keep it simple IMO.. 400 litres would be good for 6-8 discus, a few dozen rummy nose and or cardinal tetras and some BNs..

R.

Depending on filtration. Fantastic filter, more fishies.

AHC
Thu Jun 25, 2009, 01:42 AM
Hey Paul,

I recommend option 3 as well. I dont like thermofilters but your first two choices are sound. Sumps are great biological filters but so are canisters - plus canisters are great mechanical filters too. If you plan on CO2 then its a complete waste of time as the sump will waste the gas. But Co2 in a discus tank is not the norm and not advisable - despite being possible; to do it right you need experience and a lot of time to balanace care for fauna and flora.

Option 3 sounds great. I cant wait to see your tank setup. Good luck and have fun with which ever option you decide to go with.

swingn
Fri Jun 26, 2009, 02:09 AM
I'm actually looking to upgrade my small tank as well, so I know exactly what your going through.

I'd be going option #2 but also adding a canister filter.

Btw a 4 x 24 x 24 tank is more like 450L :D Very good size IMO. Other one to look at is 5 x 24 x 18... About 420L but you still get a nice amount of surface area which is always helpful :D

Snookgum123
Wed Aug 26, 2009, 12:35 PM
Go with option number 3 its preety simple to clean yur canister too. BTW you are over crowding your discus. I wouldn't get chicklids they are preety territory and likes to chew on fins and stuff..I normally have discus with tetras of different times so not to overcrowd them. You gotta get fish that can consume too much food at one time. Discus will have a hard time fighting for the food .. If you catch my drift.

mcloughlin2
Thu Aug 27, 2009, 12:23 AM
I know this is old but I didn't see it until it was just bumped - I'm hoping this project hasn't gone ahead yet!

I'd recommend option 2.

Option 1 is perfect if your setting up a marine tank but pointless for a discus tank. Water flow is too strong, lighting too intense and the skimmer is pointless on a freshwater tank.

Option 3 came close to being my choice but cannister filters have pros and cons. They are harder to clean because they are almost nearly always located in awkward positions, hoses need to be de attached, top taken off etc. It always results in water ending up everywhere. They are also ineffective at removing nitrates. The convert ammonia - nitrite great and then nitrite - nitrate is almost zero. This means you need to do large, regular water changes to control nitrate as it can kill fish in large enough concentrations.

Option 2 is the bette choice. Sumps can contain 10 times the amount of media a cannister can and with sumps you have the ability to experiment with new methods of filtration. I'm currently looking for a rack of six 2ft tanks with a sump to experiment with an algae scrubber - a innovative filtration method that reduces nitrate to zero! You can't do this properly without a sump. So give yourself space to move and got the sump.

In regards to your tank being crowded, no it won't be overly crowded but if you want maintanance to be easier perhaps stick to six discus and 10 khuli loaches. The rest of the fish are fine.

I wouldn't get chicklids they are preety territory and likes to chew on fins and stuff..I normally have discus with tetras of different times so not to overcrowd them.

They are called cichlids (Pronounced sick-lids) and there are many types of them. Discus are cichlids too! :shock: It is also a myth that cichlids are aggressive and want to eat everything in the same tank. Flowerhorns (A hybrid useless fish) maybe but pure cichlids all are different and if you meet their requirements you will have no problems at all.

TW
Thu Aug 27, 2009, 02:37 AM
I'd go with option 2 or 3. If you plan a planted tank with the possibility of one day using C02, then I'd go with 3.

The more water volume, the more discus you can have and that is a big reason why I'd reject option 1. Go with the 4x2x2 tank, no matter which method of filtration you chose. Allow 1 adult discus per 40-45 litres of water. Even if filtration is great, I'm pretty sure that is the recommended stocking level for adult discus.

I keep apistos, cardinals, sterbai cories, harley rasboras, rummy nose & ottos with my discus. Some people have trouble with discus eating the cardinals or rummy nose, but I have been lucky & my discus just ignore the smaller fish.

Good luck with your tank.