PDA

View Full Version : Import Problems

scuba123cliff
Tue Jun 02, 2009, 02:11 AM
Are you adding to the problem of illegal fish being imported into the country.You might not be even be awear you are doing it ,next time you go to but that rare and hard to get fish think why its rare and hard to get.Is it because its on the allowable import list ,I dont think so ,Is on the list of fish that can be kept in Austraila ,I dont think so.Being an importer of fish I am all ways being asked to get fish that arenot on the import list and I get funny looks for pepole when I say NO ,If we dont do some thing soon to stop the import of illegal fish soon we will be unable to import anything.So next time that fish looks to good to be true ,think twice.

Cliff

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 02, 2009, 04:35 AM
that being said alot of unimportable fish are on that list for no good reason, most dont constitute an ecological risk in most parts of this country, others which are under threat in the wild will only continue to exist if captive populations are maintained by true enthusiests (galexy rasboras, zebra plecos for example) as there is no way they can co exist with people in their native enviroment.

also the list needs updating with high inensity farming of some VERY rare fish (arowanas for example) these fish are no longer under significant threat from "poaching".

just my 2 cents feel free to agree and/or disagree as you like either way a massive shake up of import laws and fees is comming my insider tells me importers are looking at increases in 800% or more in the next few years so domesticly bred fish might become the only economicly viable option for us aussies anyway.