PDA

View Full Version : Went away for 4 days - got back -- POWER WAS OFF!!!!!

Ozboc
Sat May 30, 2009, 11:06 PM
Went down south to look at Property ( moving down there soon ) so - set up the tank ready for my absence for almost a week - cleaned - auto fish feeder on - everything is good --- away i go

Get home after a dream Run ( thinking hmm this was to easy something has not gone wrong ) and off coarse when i get home -- ALL power is off , something has tripped the RCD in main fuse box to house ( first time its happened) and its must have been off for maybe a day or 2

Before turning power back on i make sure pump is off ( to not poison the water in the tank ) Tank Temperature.... 17 DEG ... F%^%$# - cleaned pump/ filter whilst everything else was turned back on

No floating fish - but all huddled at the bottom not looking good -- over the next hour or so i bring the temperature up in the tank very slowly using warm water and the heater in the tank ( after i drop the water level by half to allow the heater to work quicker )

this was on Thursday - all the fish have recovered except one , its not eating just sitting in the corner it has lost a lot of weight ( looks like an anorexic person )

any suggestions ? ( will post a pic of the fish today when i get him to stop hiding )

( as per pic - which is about 3 months old - the fish in question is the one on top right corner of photo ( yellow one )

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn253/Ozboc/setup.jpg

Boyam
Sun May 31, 2009, 10:11 PM
Well if your fish is not eating there is cleary an issue. you will need to quarantine the fish and diagnose it.

keep a eye out for stringy feces. usually a "anorexic" discus means worms or "hex".

Ozboc
Mon Jun 01, 2009, 11:14 AM
hi there , thanks for the reply -- even though it took a few days for anyone to reply ........ all is back to normal

I am going to sell my complete set up as i am moving in the next few months , doing the sea change and where i am going is to acreage with no town water , only tank and dam water - so cant take with me ( and its a 7 hour drive - fish wont survive the drive )

will post in the classified section for those interested

Boc

ILLUSN
Mon Jun 01, 2009, 01:38 PM
discus will travel for 7hrs no problem just set up a new tank at your new place and have it ready for the fish

Ozboc
Tue Jun 02, 2009, 12:45 AM
HI illusion

fish have to go --- Only have water from the roof in the rain -- and the dam is spring fed water - so no guarantee of quality of water , especially in summer time

so water changes could be a huge gamble

I will also be very busy with my new life and wont be able to maintain this tank as it should be - so need to sell

thanks for your input though

Boc

lpiasente
Tue Jun 02, 2009, 07:14 AM
Where is the sea change to? How exciting for you

Greggy
Tue Jun 02, 2009, 03:16 PM
A fairly big tank (600L +), big filters, lots of plants and a low fish load would still be more than doable I reckon.

Discus don't mind hard water or a high pH at all (unless you are trying to breed) so long as it is fairly stable, and the bonus of hard water is usually that it is very stable!

Although it sounds like getting a large tank to where you are going to be living might be a bit of a challenge!

Regards,

Greggy

Ozboc
Thu Jun 04, 2009, 10:46 PM
Greggy - the tank has more plants now and 2 less fish ( from when that photo was taken)

I have made a custom filter to suit out of a 20 Litre storage container and a spreeder out of Stainless steel ( i work in food / packaging as a maintenance fitter so have access to Mig/ tig welders) the water then returns to tank after going through a double UV filter

the tank itself took 4 of us to lift as its about 100 KG , i probably would regret selling it , but at the same time i would not suit the new house

thanks for your comments !

Boc