PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosis help, please

brad_v
Sat May 30, 2009, 09:46 AM
All,

I’m hoping for a diagnosis on what is attached to my fish, please best pic i could get below. The bit to the side if less transparent than the straight bit. It is between 2 and 3mm long, perpendiculat to the body.

This one fish gets them occasionally over the last few years (6 year old fish). They start off as white fluffy spots, change to this and then disappear, presumably to restart the cycle. Sometimes I don’t see anything for months at a time, and then it is usually only one or two (and usually on the left in and around the position in the photo, above and behind the eye). It does not seem to stress the fish - but this one take most things in its stride).

Like most, I treat occasionally for flukes and worms, but it still tends to pop up once every few months on this fish.

Thanks

Hollowman
Sat May 30, 2009, 03:54 PM
Looks like HITH to me (HITH = Hole in the head)

brad_v
Mon Jun 01, 2009, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the diagnosis Hollowman.

I had always thought it some sort of parasite.

BV

ILLUSN
Mon Jun 01, 2009, 04:07 AM
I AGREE HiTH with a secondary infection. could be bacterial with a pusy discharge or a fungal infection.

brad_v
Mon Jun 01, 2009, 06:07 AM
Thanks Hollowman / Illusn

Any recommended course of action short of getting out my limited supply of metro?

Water change is about 20% a day (mostly RO with enough carbon filtered water to maintain PH), PH 6.0. Temp 29.

If it appears to go away without treatment (as it just about has now), will it still be there in the fish and so should I treat anyway to prevent reoccurance - or do you think I should I hold off until the need appears great?

Thanks

BV

ILLUSN
Mon Jun 01, 2009, 06:35 AM
It proably flares up when your nitrates get too high, just do bigger changes and feed a good diet the fish immune system should keep it in check, also upping your temp to 30c will help the immune system kick along. if you can get your ph a little lower say to 5.8 it will also help.