PDA

View Full Version : planted discus aquarium

pitchblack
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 01:20 PM
Ive been keeping discus without any trouble for the past year but seem to always be unluckly with plants. I don't have a co2 meter but I keep the iron level constant at 0.25 is there anything else I can do to keep my plants healthy and growing?????? Also I have good lighting and keep it on a timer for around 8 hrs per day

Merrilyn
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 01:28 PM
A lot of plants cannot tolerate the heat required for discus. They seem to slowly melt. Try some amazon swords. They are usually more heat tolerant.

pitchblack
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 01:33 PM
A lot of plants cannot tolerate the heat required for discus. They seem to slowly melt. Try some amazon swords. They are usually more heat tolerant.

thanks for that I have amazon sords at the moment just brought some I hope they will do ok any other tips???

Trebs
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:11 PM
Crypts are a good choice.

Chafule
Tue Feb 01, 2005, 07:08 AM
will hairgrass cope the high heats?

BlackGhost
Tue Feb 01, 2005, 08:58 AM
Also maybe try liquid plant food. It contains trace elment the may not be in the tank otherwise. Mine only cost $8.95 for a wardleys plant food.

wyldchyld01
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:27 AM
i would suggest to look at the depth of the tank as well and maybe if it's heavy with thanins, if it's a normal (1ft or so) tank then you shouldn't have too many issues, if it's deeper or really dark then the light may not be supplying the requirements of the plants

ie crypts and other things like annubias don't need a lot of light, same goes for java ferns but things like hairgrass and glossotigma certainly need a lot more

you can check this on a great website (i think)

http://www.tropica.com/default.asp

brenton

Scribble
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 02:06 AM
We have hair grass, it is slowly growing, spreading out, as are most plants in our tank.
The only thing that grows 'fast' or even at a regular pace are the amazon swords and the wisteria.
Our tank is between 29 and 30 degrees.
The swords are a little brown around some of the edges of the leaves, indicitive of the heat, as they have grown up directly under the light, touching the lids in some cases.
We also use a liquid fertilizer weekly with the water changes.

pitchblack
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 11:59 AM
thanks for the suggestions guys my wife is going crazy with the amount of money I spend on my tank he he he

funkyfish
Sat Feb 12, 2005, 04:18 PM
i have noticed i my planted tank that the plants seem to grow better with large daily w\c's . i have swords ,lotus, farnwart,and a few other's i can't spell . i don't use any fert's and i get good growth
good luck

kalebjarrod
Sat Feb 12, 2005, 10:10 PM
plants require co2 for the production of gulcose through the process of photosynthesis

the addition of co2 to your tank will allow your plants to grow

most planted aquariums don't grow in any sense of the word, they survive

i have co2 in my 6fter and i have to trim my plant every week, they literally grow before your eyes

when plants are growing the biproduct they produce is oxeygen, when your plants grow well you will see a stream of oxeygen flowing of the leaves, this is called peraling

try a dupla co2 system, cheap and a great introdution to co2

i one week you will notice the difference :wink: it is unbeliveable

Proteus
Sun Feb 13, 2005, 03:04 AM
I have just set up a new 5x2x2 Discus tank...

It is very heavily planted with 12-14 Large Amazon Swords (Echinodorous amazonicus)

&

8 -10 Cryptocoryne wendtii (tall)

It has been only a week, and the plants are thriving.

I have found Java Fern breaks down over time.

I will get some pics in the next week or so once I source some adequate lighting for the tank.

pitchblack
Sun Feb 13, 2005, 11:21 AM
THANKS RYAN DIY ROCKS

just wondering has any one heard of the dupla co2 system and roughly how much it would cost?????

Ive also seen pics of diy co2 systems does anyone know how to make then???

kalebjarrod
Mon Feb 14, 2005, 07:58 AM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1754

i have just bought a electronic co2 device from george at G & S aquariums

its in my 6fter, its easy and only cost me $132.00 (i think)

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category58_1.htm

info on dupla

Majesticaquatic
Wed Feb 16, 2005, 02:28 PM
As Discus truely prefer well aged water that is abundant in humas/humics it stands to reason that a well established Discus tank would have a good deal of plant matter and wood/roots/logs/etc... Discus also feel secure when there are hiding places, considering the shape of Discus one can easily see how they can hide behind plant leafs, roots, twigs, etc.
Lack of these items in the tank and they will seek refuge behind filter tubes, heaters, sponges and/or lay flat on the bottom....
It should also be noted that often recently handled Discus (just shipped for example) will be afraid and usually lay flat on bottom of bag, tank, etc.
Discus that have a feeling of "well being" (safe and secure) will grow larger, be bolder, have more aggresive appetites, suffer fewer maladies, be more productive and better parents and generally live longer than specimens that endure stress levels... [This is also true of humans and most other 'inteligent' life forms.]...
Simple experiments like comparing 'bare tank' specimens to 'sheltered tank' specimens.../ OR specimens in traffic areas vs specimens in more secluded areas.../ OR specimens subjected to frequent or massive water changes vs weekly @25%.... These are very simple experiments and results can be easily realized in 90 days or less.
Discus can become accustomed to frequent handling, does not mean they do not experience stress levels and feel intimidated... Even 'wiping' your tank down causes some minimal stress levels.
Discus are extrordinarily 'sensitive' to vibrations [in the wild this keeps them alive], they can feel a car or truck passing on the street :shock: your kids jumping from furniture to the floor, dishwasher and or washing machine running.... You may find this hard to believe but it is true. :wink: