PDA

View Full Version : schitzo fish

wyldchyld01
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:10 PM
hey all,

anyone have any clues as to why a fish would suddenly swim frantically from one end to the other of the tank and try to jump out of the water??

i have lost two sbss in about 3 weeks and after putting a lid on the tank have noticed two of the little ones with scrapes as if they have tried to jump and then just yesterday i fed them and noticed the third solid blue snake skin just go nuts for about 10 seconds and then settle, no harassment from the others, just went nuts.

the water is stable at 6.6, 30 degrees, hardness ok, 2 solid golds, 1 red and white (all 5-7 cm) tank mates along with one female red turq at 20cm's

has me totally at a loss, any help would be greatly appreciated. losing 2 fish is bad enough thanks

ps. for those that read other posts, 210 tank now back to normal and no blue green algae, turned off the light for a week and all good, thanks all for the advice.

brenton

weird
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 12:12 PM
Hi Brenton

What is your ammonia and nitrite ? How often do you do water changes ?

chris
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 10:51 PM
Hey there,
What size is your tank,
Were is your tank situated, can they see you coming, is your tank stand steady on floor boards or carpet.

I had a 3 foot grow out tank on floor boards and not the steadiest stand,
my fish would never settle, darting around trying to kill themselves for me, quit disturbing to see.
I moved them to my 5 foot tank they settled instantly..... :wink:

ctvu
Tue Feb 01, 2005, 12:14 AM
Hi

The same concern with Dave. Is there any reading of Ammonia? it can make discus skittish badly.

wyldchyld01
Tue Feb 01, 2005, 05:54 AM
thanks all, yeah i did an amonia check (change water every two days, about 10 %) on their 6x1x1 tank and there was a small level so i have cleaned the filter and changed more water

problem is i lost the third little sbss so now i have only 3 of the 6 i brought back over christmas (it's a bugger losing fish to such a stupid thing, hitting my head on the wall, that's what you get for lazy syndrome huh)

just re-inforces that keeping fish is keeping their environment...hadn't ever seen the effects of amonia on fish like that before so i didn't consider it

back to square one, read that first chapter on keeping fish and keep doing it, thanks all

Brenton

Ben
Tue Feb 01, 2005, 06:11 AM
I have a theory.........
my 4 foot tank with 6 small (6cm) blue diamonds do the same thing every now and then, but i have noticed that it seems to happen more with differnt colour t shirts i am wearing, yes this might sound strange but if i go near the tank with either a white or red t shirt the go crazy more than if i went near the tank with dark coloured clothing.

maybe discus see colour in a differnt way??

any one surpport my theory??

let me know!!

chris
Tue Feb 01, 2005, 07:22 AM
My Fish now are very settled, but they do occassionally spin out when I feed them in the morning with my black work shirt on.
But with in seconds there over it. :)
So yes I do agree :wink:

weird
Tue Feb 01, 2005, 08:42 AM
I have a theory.........
my 4 foot tank with 6 small (6cm) blue diamonds do the same thing every now and then, but i have noticed that it seems to happen more with differnt colour t shirts i am wearing, yes this might sound strange but if i go near the tank with either a white or red t shirt the go crazy more than if i went near the tank with dark coloured clothing.

maybe discus see colour in a differnt way??

any one surpport my theory??

let me know!!

Prodigy either your discus are hardcore goths or follow the melbourne/sydney female trend of city dark colour clothing. :wink:

ctvu
Tue Feb 01, 2005, 11:39 AM
Hi

Sorry for your lost, and I know exactly how you feel when you see your fish die since I lost more than you in one month because of a bit level of ammonia.
I hope your fish will be OK.

ctvu

DiscusMad
Tue Feb 01, 2005, 01:02 PM
well i have not had a lot of people come to my place but when a friend of mine came over ad he was 4m away from the tank amd took 2 steeps towards them they all freeked out so i put it down to a new person because they all came out for me and my wife

wyldchyld01
Thu Feb 03, 2005, 08:06 AM
i agree with a lot of what has been said here, clothing and new people certainly have an effect on my fish.

amonia def

well here's an update. after losing another fish i decided i should do what i used to at work and so microscoped a specimen (dead fish) oh my god there were flukes all over their gills.

after treating with af (and a few other chems i have lying around he he he) i have one fish, which was looking at dying, that is struggling along (i mean struggling still breathing but sits side-on on the bottom of the tank) have one of the golds that didn't like the treatment and started to gill scrape but has since come good, so it's just a waiting game now.

thanks to all that contributed, on retrospect i should have put this thread in the emergancy side of things but initially didn't think it was all that bad

with fingers crossed

Brenton